Copy/Paste Entire Channel

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Copy/Paste Entire Channel

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zach Zach 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

Ok, so I was kind of shocked when I found out this wasn’t possible, and from a few of the other feeds that I have seen, I’m not the only. But, I never actually found a feature request for this, so I am adding it now. Our SQ is used in a church setting, so sometimes you think you have things where you want them, but you change your mind. I know you can go to the “Surface” touch screen and drag-n-drop. But it’s got “Copy/Paste” buttons.

I would want it to copy the entire channel: mix sends, processing, EVERYTHING!

For all of those who complained in the past, I hope you see this now and add your vote. I mean, even the cheap boards do this.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the channel copy function is split in two possibilities

COPY+SELECT copies the whole processing without the preamp
    COPY+MIX copies the complete routing of the channel

if you paste the preamp with engaged 48V it could be that you have unwanted noise in your system due to the 48V beeing switched
    and undesired gain changes are very dangerous, that’s why the preamp is not copied with the rest of the channel

I personal love the flexibility with this behavior

SteffenR
    Participant

ok tried it in the APP the Mix Copy does not work here
    is it working on the board?
    Normally this works on all A&H digital mixers…
    I guess it’s on the list, already

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Maybe a “move channel” feature instead of copy? Dunno, but yeah would be nice.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Steffen,

there is no MIX button on every channel of the SQ like on the DLive.

Or do mean by MixCopy: to copy a mix? That works fine in the App…

Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

Let’s pretend that the left fader is channel strip 1, and the fader next to the “Mix” fader is channel strip 24. I have a vocalist named “Tom” that I set up on channel strip 1. EQ, compression, auxiliary outs to the monitors. Now after I have all of that set, I decide that I don’t like the location of his channel strip. I want it on channel strip 24. I want to take every setting from channel strip 1 to channel strip 24 using the copy paste button. It should not affect any settings, 48v or gain. As all I am really doing is changing the location of the fader that is used to control it. As lightingman117 said, it’s more of a move feature. You can currently do this in surface setup by dragging channels on and off, but the buttons would be so quick. Hopefully that makes senses as to what I am trying to do.

SteffenR
    Participant

Maybe a “move channel” feature instead of copy? Dunno, but yeah would be nice.

what should that be good for?
    you can freely assign any channel to any place on the layers
    you can insert a channel with additional signals on that place where you need it

the numbers are meaningless

SteffenR
    Participant

btw…

Copy the routing part…. I found out how it works on the app
    select the Mix Button
    now the mix master is the master strip
    now you can right click on it to copy/paste/reset

Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

The numbers was just for an example. Have you never set up a vocal on a certain fader, then decided you want it on a different fader, or maybe even a different layer?

you can freely assign any channel to any place on the layers

Yes, you can already do this. Being able to use the copy and paste buttons to do this would be quicker than drag and drop.

Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

I know this is an old thread, but I’m surprised this still isn’t supported on the SQ. I mean, even my Soundcraft Si Expression allows a more flexible copy/paste. I frequently need to copy an entire channel processing AND mix sends to another channel when, for example, the vocalist’s mic had to be switched to another physical jack on stage last minute, and changing the patching on the fly would be out of the question for our volunteers.

Copying/pasting entire mixes is not what I’m looking for — I’d just like the ability to copy/paste all of a specific channel’s mix sends to another channel, not copying one mix to another. Can someone confirm whether this is possible on the console? From what I’m hearing from others and seeing from the app, it does not appear possible.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

For a Move channel, you can go to the surface config, and pick up a channel off the assigned channels, and move it to another one. I’m not 100% sure whether all the rest of the details go with it – I’ll have to check next time I do it!

Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

I think I misunderstood what the OP was asking for. I thought we were talking about copying/pasting settings to a NEW channel, not a faster way of remapping the faders, which is a fundamentally different thing.

New2SQ, if there is a copy/paste function for the channel strip assignments, I worry that would create confusion as to what is actually happening. When I think of copy/paste, I normally think of the thing being pasted as independent from what was copied. But in the case of channel assignments, we’re not really copying/pasting a channel onto another independent channel — we’re really just mapping it to another fader (or to both faders at the same time). So I worry the UX around copy/paste might be confusing in the strip assign section (except for copying/pasting entire layers, which would make total sense because layers are independent from each other and free to change from each other).

Have you tried using the SQ MixPad app? I find the app easier/quicker to use than the surface screen for adjusting strip assign, and it shows a lot more channels and faders at a given time. I wish the surface strip assign was as easy as on the iPad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.