Copy Paste Channel

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Copy Paste Channel

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sono Sono 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

Hi

I want to copy channel 1 to channel 2. The whole thing: fader value, eq comp sends pan etc.
    I press “Copy” and then “Sel” on Channel 1 on the desk. Then I press “Paste” and “Sel” on Channel 2.
    EQ, Gate, HPF and other things are pasted BUT fader value for Main Mix and sends are NOT.
    Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I’m only speaking from QU, but I bet it is the same on SQ…

I believe that is normal. Your main fader and sends levels are not copied or pasted.

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

Barryjam
    Thanks for your reply, but how do you copy/paste those then? I can’t believe that has to be done “by hand”…

Barryjam
    Participant

I’m speculating here, but I think that it is the “processing” of the channel (eq, compression, gating, etc.) that some users would want copied (e.g., for all vocal mics of the same brand and model) but might not want Fader levels copied (e.g., not all singers have the exact same vocal volume and not all singers want the exact same level in every monitor). Come to think of it, I don’t think pre-amp gain is copied either, nor are pre/post fader selections for various mixes at the channel level.

But, I admit, there are times when I wanted to do exactly what you want, maybe as a starting point. Could be a nice option—maybe a feature suggestion.

And I could be completely wrong on my answer. I certainly have been wrong before! Maybe other users can explain the rationale better.

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

I have NEVER seen such thing on any desk I’ve worked with. The idea of copying is allow for speed. If I want to copy specific stuff I can choose them individually whereas in this case I CANNOT copy fader and sends values. With all due respect, that’s just plain silly and I really can’t believe it’s been implemented like so…
    Thanks for your input anyway 🙂

Profile photo of Lino
    Lino
    Participant

This really comes down to a question of workflow philosophy. For me, the parameters copied in copy/paste of channels are quite intuitive and achieve just what I would expect from the process – though I have to admit, that I’ve been using A&H consoles for quite some time now, so this might be a matter of routine.

Anyways, if I wanted to achieve what you’re asking, e.g. having channels with the same send and main levels, I would just use a group…

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

I disagree. Not being ABLE to do something is not a question of workflow philosophy. Workflow philosophy is a question of choice which I do NOT have here.

I’m not sure a group would help. My idea was to prepare, i.e. Channel 1 for a vocal and copy/paste to another 4 or five channels. Or load a scene and being able to move channels around copying/pasting because new channels have to be included or put in a different order in the scene. I can’t figure an EASY and FAST way of doing this without that feature really.

But thanks for your input anyway…

Barryjam
    Participant

Sono,

The more I think about this, the more I think you might feel passionate enough about this to make it a feature suggestion. But it would have to be a choice: “Include Mic Pre and all mix levels in Copy/Paste.” Otherwise, you would be forcing your particular vision of CHOICE on other users, some of whom like it as it is.

I exclusively use IEMs for monitors, and I use a reverb send that is only used on IEMs, so that any change in the FOH reverb does not hit the ears of my players. These players have carefully selected the level and panning of themselves and other singers in IEMs connected to various mixes, and they expect that, for the most part, their mixes will be either their last edit or band startup scene. If I switch out a mic in channel 2, and I like a particular eq and comp setting for that mic that is located in channel 1, I don’t think I want to suddenly change the level of channel 2 fader to match channel 1 in all of these IEM mixes and reverb send.

You are entitled to think your choice is better, but understand that others may disagree. Maybe A&H could build this choice into the mixer. Make it a feature suggestion.

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

I don’t think my choice is BETTER. It’s not MY CHOICE for starters: I was just looking for a feature found in all digital desks I’ve worked with in my life. Turns out it doesn’t exist on Allen Heath desks. Ok, fair enough. But then how do you do what I’m trying to do? I don’t think it’s some rare and weird thing to do is it? Let’s say that you have 10 monitor sends and want to clone Channel 1 into Channel 2, 3, 4 and 5… Apart from copy/pasting all the processing the way we already know, how would you clone the faders and the sends?

Cheers
    Sono

Profile photo of Lino
    Lino
    Participant

Fair enough, that’s not possible, at least not on SQ. If you can’t live without it, make it a feature request.
    In a distinguished manner, this is however implemented on dLive and GLD as far as I know, where you can use the “Mix” key instead of “Select” to copy Mix parameters of a channel. Since SQ does not have hardware “Mix” keys, it needs to be implemented differently, if at all, since this needs to remain a selection for the user. Personally, I love to apply EQ/Comp/Gate from one channel to another without affecting the pasted channel’s send levels, e.g. if I have to quickly adapt to different microphones on channels where monitoring is already established.

For me, this is still a workflow question. When preparing the desk, I do the channels first and then the mixes. Since the sends are then on the faders, it is not THAT much of a pain to just move 1…N faders instead of just one, since I can move them all at once. Again, if you have a different workflow, this might be a pain for you.

Additionally: this heated up quite quickly and your use of CAPS gives me a sense of entitlement on your part which does not really help but rather sets an aggressive mood for the conversation. If you had sat down calmly to describe exactly what you wanted to do, we could have arrived at “Fair enough, that’s not possible, at least not on SQ.” quite a bit earlier.

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

If It has heated up on your side, I’m sorry. I never meant to heat anything up. The reason why I used CAPS is because the subject I need to be addressed (a solution for this if there is any) was always bypassed. In my first post I stated clearly a situation I was bumping into and asked if this was normal. I don’t think my question was something weird since I can do that on any Yamaha, Midas or even Behringer to name a few.
    With all due respect saying that the problem is really a workflow philosophy is not really helpful or clarifying don’t you think? My workflow is my business and I didn’t put in question yours.
    Since you seem to know A&H desks very well, maybe saying “unfortunately that’s not possible on an SQ but maybe you can request the feature” with a “why don’t you try this or this in the meantime to get around the problem and have at least a partial solution?” would have been more helpful in all senses and you probably wouldn’t have got the impression things were “heating up”. They never did with Barryjam…

Btw, you’re always in time to be nice and helpful by answering my last post questions though… 😉

Cheers
    Sono

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Sono,

The reason the fader positions are not copied is because this is not included in the processing of a channel, it is in the routing.

Unfortunately, it is not possible copy the fader position for individual channels. However, it is possible to copy a mix, which includes all fader levels, pan positions (stereo only), and assignments.

To do this, press and hold the Copy key, then press on a blue mix key. You can press and hold the Paste key, then press on any blue mix key to copy over the settings. The same applies for the Reset key to reset a mix.

I hope this helps!

Alex

Profile photo of Lino
    Lino
    Participant

With all due respect saying that the problem is really a workflow philosophy is not really helpful or clarifying don’t you think? My workflow is my business and I didn’t put in question yours.

Okay, maybe this is just a misunderstanding between the two of us and we should burry that hatchet somewhere. By using the term “workflow issue” I was just reacting on you saying “With all due respect, that’s just plain silly and I really can’t believe it’s been implemented like so…” because for me, this exact implementation has been working perfectly and I suspect it has been for many others, who have had no trouble achieving this since, apparently, they use a different workflow to get there.
    For what it’s worth, I totally agree on your above statement – you are free to work however you see fit and wouldn’t have it any other way, since I’m sure there’s a lot of people out there who’d stick up their nose to all the self-taught bullshit I’ve been doing to get by on digital or analog consoles over the year 😉

Maybe Alex’ suggestion of copying mixes might help you, even though this would only allow you to create a default-mix first for all channels and then copy that over…a functionality in SQ that I also didn’t know about so far 🙂

Profile photo of Sono
    Sono
    Participant

Alex thanks for chiming in and Lino I’m sorry for using the word “silly”. Sincerely, I didn’t mean no hatchet at all.
    I am still surprised Faders can’t be copied though. I understand what Alex explains but does that mean that you guys never copy Faders? (I suddenly feel like an alien!!)) When cloning channels, for me that is the easiest way to copy/paste Faders and sends. It is an extremely versatile and easy way to move channels around reorganizing them without having to touch a single thing apart from resetting gain/phantom/pad…
    You guys really don’t find that useful and worth being included in your workflow?
    This desk is a great piece of engineering. I will certainly ask for this feature. It deserves it to say the least 😉
    Thanks again for all the input and again I apologize for giving the impression that things were “heating up”

Cheers
    Sono

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Sono,

If you want to replicate one channels processing and routing on another channel, unfortunately, there is no quick way to do this on an individual fader basis.

If you want to move the channel (or have multiple instances of the same channel) onto different strip assignments, you can indeed do this in Setup > Surface > Strip Assign.

If these suggestions don’t describe what your after, maybe raise a ticket at support.allen-heath.com and we can look into what it is you want to do exactly. If it’s not yet available on SQ, you can then come back to the community to post onto feature suggestions.

Thanks!

Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.