Controlling Mix Output levels for Monitors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Controlling Mix Output levels for Monitors

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JW JW 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

I was asked to run sound for my kids play and they have a QU-24. The mains are connected to the LR Main Out and the levels are controlled by the Ch 23 & 24 faders. The monitors are connected to Mix Outputs 7&8 and I can’t figure out how to get sound out of those. How do I control the output levels to the monitors connected to Mix Outputs 7&8? Sorry for the newbie question but this is my first time running sound. The monitors are powered and I checked to make sure they’re powered on and cables connected.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

On the right side of the board press 7&8 mix button , your faders are now in mix 7&8 layer , move master and channel faders up to desired level . Hope that helps .

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As Bear said that will get to the mix 7&8 layer but I am wondering about your mention of channels 23 & 24 controlling the output levels.

Are they controlling the actual overall main mix level or are they just the channels that
    you need to be adjusting for this play.

If the board is operating in the custom layer mode then channels 23 & 24 could be anything.

Walking in cold to operate any sound system let alone a digital mixer with out knowing
    how the system is actually configured can be kind of a real fast and big learning curve!

I’m assume this is a school so knowing who all has had their hands in the system is a big unknown.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Mike C great point.

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

This is a big unknown. The ones that brought this board in are long gone and no knowledge was passed on.

So far the only thing I can hear is that 23 & 24 control the level of the main speakers. I don’t know about layers, but I’m trying to read through the manual and learn.

And yes, the light on the button under Custom is lit, so I’m assuming from what you said it is operating in Custom Layer mode.

If this is a Custom Layer, will I need to add Mix 7-8 to the Layer? (I’ll try to figure that out from the manual)

I will try pressing the Mix 7-8 button to see what happens.

I believe the light on the LR button above the Master fader is usually lit.

Thanks for the input!

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

Correction: The light below Custom is not usually lit, the light on the button below it is lit. So maybe not in Custom Layer mode?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If the light in the bottom layer button is lit and the row of amber leds are all lit
    above the channel faders that is the main input fader control layer.

As to why channels 23 & 24 are the only thing controlling the main speakers is kind of strange.

Are there inputs connected to the other channels?

If possible post a picture of the back of the mixer and the front with it powered on.

Again the big unknown is how the system was/is configured.

I have seen many wacked out system installations done by people with good intentions so who knows what you been left to work with.

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

Tried replying yesterday but it wouldn’t let me post.

Yes, amber led’s are all lit.

Mic’s are connected to channels 1-12.

I’ll get some pics hopefully tomorrow.

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

So the reason Ch 23 & 24 are used is because that’s what the iPad is plugged into. The iPad is used for the music from MTI Shows.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Kudos for stepping up to help and don’t take this the wrong way but
    if it’s at all possible and time allows you should look for someone to come in that can give the system a look over and give a little training on the mixer. Finding that right qualified person who knows how to trouble shoot and configure the inner workings of a sound system and operate a QU could be tricky. Be careful of the buddy of a friend who is a DJ or plays in band type of recommendation!

Where are you located, maybe someone here on the forums is nearby.

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

Thanks Mike, I got the number of the person I’m told set it up and I’m going to call him tomorrow.

I’m in Colorado Springs.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind a service call in Colorado Springs!!

Send me a couple airline tickets and I’m there!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mike C
    With the snowstorm about to hit that area your service call may be delayed:)

Profile photo of JW
    JW
    Participant

Yeah, we were hit pretty hard.
    I’m going to call the company that sold them the equipment and installed it today. Going to see if they can provide some training.
    I appreciate your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.