Control surface for use with Qu-SB?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Control surface for use with Qu-SB?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

Has anyone used any particular hardware control surface as a remote for Qu-SB or Qu-Pac? Just wondering how possible that is. I’m just realizing that since I have an AB-168 (mostly to remote my preamps to stage so I can have the Qu-16 at FOH, I could for fairly reasonable money get a Qu-SB and expand to 32 mic inputs and more mixes and functionality. Not sure I’m ready to give up physical faders, though.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have used a BCF2k to provide me with 8 faders – and a RasPi, running android, with a touchscreen monitor and Mixing Station Pro loaded – this gave me a way to have layers on the BCF2k, and use the other controls as well.

More complex Midi devices would also work (MIDI/USB supported by Mixing Station)

I’d like to be able to (ab)use a QU16 in that role

Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

The thought had occurred to me to try and use the Qu-16 as a glorified control surface in DAW Control mode or something.

I have Mixing Station Pro on an Android tablet…I’ll have to check out the hardware connectivity options. That’s starting to sound a bit hacky, though. I was thinking more along the lines of an actual MCU or equivalent from Presonus or Behringer. I guess we don’t have MCU compatibility, though.

Thanks for the input.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

USB isn’t particularly hacky, OTG will work from a tablet (though you lose power input)

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Scott…

I felt the same way about shifting from the phsical surface to using an iPad. Now that there are THREE custom layers, I find I actually prefer using the remote app. I think you’ll find the options for a physical-faderd remote to be 10x as cumbersome as the Qu-pad app and the connctivity more of a kludge…or maybe not.

I think if you try the Qu-pad, you’ll be like a duck in water.

Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

I regularly use the Qu-Pad app for when I’m running sound for others, and yes, get along with it just fine…but when on stage playing I feel more comfortable and am faster with faders to grab. I may just bite the bullet and deal with it…or just continue to use the Qu-16 when I’m in those situations. I don’t need the extra input channels for anything I play in, but it would be awesome to have the additional FX returns and groups without having to burn mix outputs for FX returns 3 & 4 as I do with the Qu-16.

Do you find that the extra custom layers make it easier to use the Qu-Pad app, or do you mean it makes it MORE cumbersome to use the physical mixer?

Again, thanks for the input.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you’re on Qu-Pac/SB just for the output sockets, please note that you only get group and matrix outputs from a dSnake box. The Qu-Pac/SB itself only provides the same 10 Mix sockets as the Qu16 does.
    But, yes, the Qu-Pac/SB provide four FX units instead of 2 on Qu16, if that’s the goal.

Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

Right, and as noted in the original post, I already have an AB-168, which makes the incremental cost to get those additional inputs, buses, and outputs fairly attractive.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Where are you based, you look to have most of the kit required for a test

Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

Just outside of Kansas City, Missouri, in the US. A test of what?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have had my QU Pac for just about a year and for 95% of what I do I do not miss faders. For the series of school class plays I do I did bring out my GL2400 this year.

I have installed four QU series boards and during the install I mentioned that the Qu Pad App was actually as easier way to operate the board, after following up with the operators at those installs all agreed that I was right and said they rarely even touch the board. I installed QU Pacs at two funeral homes and for them they use the Q Control
    presets I set up on their phones and iPads as much if not more than the full QU pad App.

Profile photo of Scott S
    Scott S
    Participant

I’ve tried to reply twice, and it hasn’t shown up yet [XAP]Bob, I don’t know what “test” you’re referring to. I’m dead in the middle of Midwest US.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

For any strange reason the forum scanner interpreted that post as spam, I’ve just made it visible.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Anyone here have a BCF2k in that area?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.