Control LV1 from SQ6

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Control LV1 from SQ6

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Haniel Trisna
    Haniel Trisna
    Participant

Hi,
    I did a search but couldn’t find yet. Can anyone point me to or help me with steps needed to have the SQ control LV1 via Mackie Control? I see that Mackie Control is an option in DAW Control Preferences.
    Is this possible? If it is, it would align my cosmic galaxy perfectly, as it makes the SQ6 with a Soundgrid card an 88 channel console with the LV1 taking up channels 49-64 along with SQ’s local IO being send there via tie line, and LV1’s master bus joining SQ’s LR Bus via Mix Ext In. There are a lot of flexibilities in SQ that allowed this to happen.

Being able to control at least the LV1’s faders, select, and mute would just be the icing on the cake!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Haniel Trisna
    Participant

So, I finally figured it out. I made a video of it to share

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I have a 20 channel Digigrid input system (IOS & IOX) along with a Server One that feeds a 32 channel LV1 mixer that provides the digital info including the plug-in and ancillary processing to a custom ADK audio computer with two hard drives: One for audio processing and the other for my Studio One DAW. When the studio, or live performance, capture is complete and the DAW is deployed in two mix activity I have a Faderport 8 to assist the touch screen operation of the LV1 with these mixing chores.
    This is what I think the Waves card does for an SQ desk: It enables a Waves server to deliver all of the loaded structure and processing for your LV1 license that you may have available to facilitate multi-track recording.
    I strongly recommend calling the Waves teck people (1-865-909-9200) and clarify with them whether or not you have miss read the possibilities you have alluded to.
    Hugh

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Hugh,

What Haniel is doing here is totally legitimate (and very cool!), I can try to briefly clarify some points on the A&H side of the setup – guessing at which parts you suggest might not be possible:

• The addition of the SQ Waves option card allows for connection to any SoundGrid network (which includes a server, but also direct connections to other cards, SoundGrid Studio etc…). It does not add extra channels or processing to the SQ. All audio here is being routed between equipment using a SoundGrid network.
    • Haniel is being pretty clever with the use of Tie Lines and Mix External Inputs, both of which can be used by the SQ to route audio without using up any channel processing. This is how the total channel count of the system has been extended beyond the SQ’s 48 input processing channels, through adding extra, separate channel processing in LV1 then just bringing it back into the SQ for routing and mixing.
    • The DAW Control Driver is a separate layer of control only, and nothing to do with processing in the SQ. It allows the SQ’s MIDI channel strip messages to be translated, and emulates up to 4 hardware instances of MCU or HUI devices on the same system. These can then be used by any DAW or application that recognises those units, including LV1. The whole MIDI channel strips and DAW Control system can be thought of as if you actually had separate hardware control surfaces such as your faderport (it’s just handy that they’re all in the same box!).

Ignoring the recording (which I think just comes off the SoundGrid network) the whole live setup could be thought of in 3 parts, all of which are tried and tested, but not always used together.
    1. The SQ carrying out processing and routing audio, including to and from a SoundGrid network.
    2. The LV1 carrying out extra processing and talking to the SoundGrid network.
    3. The SQ working as a control surface using the DAW Control Driver to map it’s MIDI channel strips to LV1.

One other thing to note is that the Control Network Bridge could be enabled in the SQ, which bridges all SQ network traffic to the IO Port. This connection could then be picked up and used by a computer on the SoundGrid network which was running the DAW Control Driver 🙂

I hope I got all of that right @Haniel Trisna ?

Cheers,
    Keith.

Haniel Trisna
    Participant

Yes Keith. You guys have created such a cool product with great technologies to allow creative ways to extend its limitations. I am absolutely in love with this console, which didn’t start that way just 2 weeks ago

What wins me over first and foremost was the sound quality. It is bar none, the best sounding console below $10K. Secondly, it is LIGHT. Fly-pack friendly. Based on those reasons, I just had to figure out a way to make it work for my workflow.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Keith,
    I had a cursory understanding of the channel extension process the OP was pursuing and was not questioning the A & H SQ potential to get it done. My concern was pursuant to the Waves LV1 mixer to deliver the channels effectively with out the ancillary support of a server. My Digigrid/Waves LV1 system reaches it’s full potential when the separate essential elements work with each other. Mix and match protocols possible with the SQ may offer possibilities that are outside of the optimized protocol Waves is designed to work well with.
    For this reason I strongly recommend asking Waves for their opinion about the LV1 working very well in this proposed protocol.
    Hugh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.