Constant Mic Pre Streaming to mac

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Constant Mic Pre Streaming to mac

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lou Lou 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Trolo
    Trolo
    Participant

Hi,
    It would be great if the mic pres constantly streamed so that you could bring the audio into a DAW, use effects e.g. Amp sim, waves plugins, fab filter plugins, etc. Then bring the output from the DAW back into the exact same channel (Rear USB streaming). To do this at the moment I would have to use 2 channels! When you set a channel to USB input, the mic pre stops streaming audio.

This would exponentially make this desk a powerful tool. I would then be able to use plugins live! instead of just post.
    Thanks for your time.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I had this feature on my last desk, Mackie Onyx 1640i. You could stream all 16 channels via Firewire to a Mac or PC into a DAW and stream back into the desk and use the DAW’s plugins on FOH. Never used this feature myself as I couldn’t find a laptop that had dual firewire ports.

Lee

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Feature suggestion: Can make the insert have a selectable function over USB! Do for us please!

Profile photo of MantraSonido
    MantraSonido
    Participant

What? I thought this was a feature for the QU series… Big disappointment as I’m looking into a QU32 thinking that I could do live recordings with simultaneous USB channel returns. Guess You’d have to first record and then stream back. But this differs from what I’ve read in the manuals. Can you confirm that this is not a feature?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

No, it’s not.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Channels can either have analogue OR USB input, not both.

The streaming supports a decent channel count, but each channel is either a send or a return.

So yes, to run a DAW as an insert requires two channels (or an alternative ADC input to the DAW.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Surely latency would be an issue here?
    I have not actually tried this with a QU.
    I did do this with my GSR [and an ZED-R16] with Reaper DAW [Mac Book Pro] in a live scenario but latency issues however I could add excellent effects like this.

However the QU is the choice of desks for most applications know.
    What is that desk in you pic Trolo? I cant make that out? Just curious.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

If you aren’t processing too many channels, you can go back into a Qu with the stereo channels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.