Considering SQ-7 from iLive-T112

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Considering SQ-7 from iLive-T112

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

We are considering going from the iLive-T112 with IDR-32 to the SQ-7 and wanted to know a few things:
    1. iLive was supported for about a 6-year window. I know none of you have a crystal ball, but do you think SQ’s will be supported for that time considering the SQ series was announced in 2017? What has been the supported life of an A&H series in its history?
    2. Does the SQ series support AVIOM in-ear monitors?
    3. The IDR-32 is NOT compatible with the SQ series, correct?
    4. How many monitor mixes are available on the SQ?
    5. Any other information for my consideration would be greatly appreciated considering I am migrating from the iLive-T112…

Thanks, Jason

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Jason,

I can give you some of the answers here, but I’m sure there will be other users with experience of both systems that can give some feedback too.

1. iLive was supported for about a 6-year window. I know none of you have a crystal ball, but do you think SQ’s will be supported for that time considering the SQ series was announced in 2017? What has been the supported life of an A&H series in its history?
    We are still supporting customers using A&H consoles from the 1980’s. It does become a trickier question to answer with digital consoles and especially compatibility with future computer operating systems (which we also would need a crystal ball to know about!) but we do support consoles for as long as possible. If your question is more about firmware updates, then there will always be a time when a system matures and there is a finite number of features that can be added. But looking at our other digital consoles (actually iLive launch to last firmware was approx 10yrs), this won’t be for some time with the SQ. We always advise considering at the capabilities of a system today though, i.e. make sure the console does everything you require right now, and then future updates are all a bonus.
    2. Does the SQ series support AVIOM in-ear monitors?
    The SQ features a built-in SLink port, which works with dSnake, ME, DX and gigaACE protocols. There is also an option card slot with currently available cards being Dante, Waves and a secondary SLink. But no, there is no direct support for the Aviom protocol.
    3. The IDR-32 is NOT compatible with the SQ series, correct?
    If you mean to use the iDR-32 as a stagebox for the SQ, then you are correct – the iDR-32 is a mixer (for which your T112 is a control surface), and the SQ is a mixer. So these are two systems that you would be connecting and you would only be sharing audio between the two and no control messages. That is to say, with a Dante or Waves card, you could send and receive audio to and from each system, but the SQ would not be able to directly control the preamps in the iDR.
    4. How many monitor mixes are available on the SQ?
    The SQ has LR + 12 mono or stereo mixes that can be used as auxes or groups + 3 stereo or mono matrix mixes. So if you are not using groups, then you could have up to 12 stereo monitor mixes along with the main LR.
    5. Any other information for my consideration would be greatly appreciated considering I am migrating from the iLive-T112…
    – SQ uses the latest technology for processing and mixing, and is built on a 96kHz XCVI core, with benefits to audio quality and latency as well as the ability to run DEEP add-ons from dLive.
    – iLive has 64 input processing channels and fully configurable mix busses, SQ has 48 input processing channels, and a more fixed mix bus structure.
    – From Q3 it sounds like you may need to consider the digital expansion options, the SQ works with every A&H expander, but it’s worth thinking about the whole system at the same time, and what would work best for you. (https://www.allen-heath.com/everything-io/).
    – Your T112 has a lot more hands-on control, and information displayed at one time, whilst the SQ is a much faster system overall (boot times, mixer config changes, fader speed…).
    – The SQ has more built in options for recording.
    – Probably the best thing would be to note which features are essential in your iLive system, and then check to see if they are also on the SQ. Previous to dLive, iLive was the flagship console, and there are a few features that are just not possible on the much more compact SQ (very granular scene management and filters, built-in show storage, MIDI control mapping, fader banks and strip freeze). The Avantis would be a closer match in channel count, but of course the equivalent of the iLive would be a dLive.

Hope some of this is of use.
    Cheers!
    Keith.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.