connecting two QU mixers

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions connecting two QU mixers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of calfredson calfredson 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of calfredson
    calfredson
    Participant

Hello,

I’m wondering if it is possible to connect two QU mixers via D-snake. Here is my situation. A theatre that I work at frequently recently bought a QU-24 to mix their musical theatre shows. They also have a Yamaha DM1000 in the lighting booth, which they use with Q-lab for their non-musical shows and as a sort of matrix to distribute the sends from the QU-24 to their 16 amplifier channels. In other words, the signal path for live shows is Mics -> Analog snake -> QU-24 -> Sub-snake -> DM1000 -> Amplifiers. Their DM1000 has been causing them issues and they are looking to replace it. I have suggested they purchase a QU-16 or QU-pac, since there isn’t space in the booth for the QU-24. What I am curious about, is if they could then run the outputs of the QU-24 via D-Snake and have them come in as inputs on the QU-16/pac, therefore eliminating the old analog sub-snake and keeping the signal digital for as long as possible.

Thanks,

Craig

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Short answer: No. Qu is a fixed clock master.

Long answer: many threads on this subject already contain further information. Look through them.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Alternative thought – what does the matrix do that the QU couldn’t do natively?
    Or with a couple of rack delay units?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do you really want 16 different outputs?
    You could just about do it with a Qu-16, but that would include the Alt out and 2Tk Out. Same goes for the Qu-Pac by itself, as the group & matrix outs are not available as physical connections – you’d need to add an AR#### stage box to use them.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Although the AR stagebox would also be in a rack, and therefore likely to be pretty easily to fit into a cramped lighting box.

Especially as it could be mounted “behind” the QuPAC reasonably…

(expensive matrix though)

Profile photo of calfredson
    calfredson
    Participant

Thank you for the input. I realize that getting 16 distinct outputs out of the QU-16 is difficult, but I think given the application that 12 would be enough. The key thing here is that we need a rackmount mixer in the lighting booth for smaller shows and to run the pre-recorded sound effects. I know that I can run the outputs of the QU-24 to the Qu-16 via the analog sub-snake, I was just hoping for an all-digital solution.

Craig

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.