Connecting turntable to SQ5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Connecting turntable to SQ5

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robashard robashard 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

Been thinking for a while now about connect a vinyl deck, or two, to the SQ5, for sampling. Has anyone got any ideas of the best way to do it and what extra equipment might be required 🙂 Never going to do it, but curious if anyone has done a DJ mix off an SQ or something similar.

Profile photo of Swell
    Swell
    Participant

Whatsoup,

A simple solution would be to connect the turntable to any XLR input by using a stereo DI box like the Radial AV2.

Then you could record a number of different ways, SQ Drive, Tracks Live, etc…

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

A DI will absolutely not work!

Any phonograph playback requires an RIAA preamp.

What I would suggest:
    Turntable into 3rd party RIAA preamp
    RIAA preamp into ST1 or ST2 (via RCA to 1/4” cables)

I would suggest using the ST1/2 inputs instead of the regular XLR inputs as you have no need for the mic preamp in this situation.

Profile photo of Gab
    Gab
    Participant

the radial j33 di has a riaa preamp integrated. i think that would be the most elegant way.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Budget alternative might be the iConnectivity SpinXLR.

Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

If you went with the Audio Technica AT LP 120 USB turntables, they have line outputs. You could go straight into the two pairs of stereo jack inputs with that. Two sets of phono leads, which may come with the turntables, and four jack plug to phono socket converters will get you connected.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.