Connect mac through dx168?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Connect mac through dx168?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ummi Ummi 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ummi
    Ummi
    Participant

Sup!

Will be using an SQ5 as a FOH mixer for small concerts, and our setup requires the use of 2 macbooks. One on stage, controlling Qlab (6 channel stereo audio input to mixer) and one connected from the FOH position. We will use a DX168 to connect on-stage equipment to the SQ.

My question comes down to- is it possible to connect a pc/mac through the DX168 somehow? If not directly- i need to be able to send 6 channels from the stage pc- to the SQ. How do i do this?

Thanks

Ludvig

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Ummi

DX is a layer 2 protocol for point-to-point connection. It does not carry network data and so no, it would not be possible to send any other data over the connection.

For this setup, you would need an interface which provides 6 analogue outputs that could then be connected to input sockets of the DX168.

As an aside, what you’re wanting to do is a good example of where a Dante network would be used, though of course this would require different hardware (Dante option card and DT expanders) which has been in very short supply or completely unavailable since the component shortage hit.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Ummi
    Ummi
    Participant

Thanks Keith!

If i manage to get my hands on a Dante expansion for the SQ, would i be able to patch the computers into the SQ through a Dante network, and then through the DX168 connected to the sLink port?

Thank you

KeithJ A&H

@Ummi

You can connect multiple computers to a Dante network and therefore patch signals from multiple computers to a single Dante option card.
    You cannot connect a DX168 directly to a Dante network, carry the DX protocol through a ‘normal’ network or Dante traffic through the SLink port/DX connection.
    A DT expander (or expanders) would be needed to connect multiple devices from the stage (at minimum the expander and the computer) over a single cable back to the SQ at FOH.

With the Dante option card and no DT expander you would need to run 2x cables from the stage. One for DX to the SLink port and one for Dante to the Dante card.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Ummi
    Ummi
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H

Makes sense! This was the solution i had in mind.

2 cables from stage to FOH is doable. Finding an expansion card was not unfortunately.

Would i be able to use a MADI expansion in some way perhaps?

Using Madi- would i be able to send MIDI CC from Mac 1 through the mixer to Mac 2?

Ludvig

KeithJ A&H

Hi Ludvig,

I’m afraid there is no MIDI over MADI, the MADI option card is audio only.
    With MADI, you would need a MADI interface at the stage, then a coaxial cable run to FOH.

I’d recommend looking into network MIDI which could be used wired or wirelessly, separate to the audio connection.
    For audio, being that network audio solutions are difficult to source, I would still suggest an interface and analogue connections is the simplest and easiest solution.

Others here may have better suggestions though.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Ummi
    Ummi
    Participant

Thank you Keith.

One last question:
    I am attempting to connect a mac through a series of adapters. Do you have an idea why this does not work?
    The adapter setup:

(Mac) Usb-C – RJ45, RJ45 – Usb-C, Usb-C – Usb-B (SQ)

Tried to extend the range of the usb connection, with no luck..

Ludvig

KeithJ A&H

@Ummi

The USB-B connection clocks to the computer it’s connected to and the data transfer is constant.
    This mean that we only support using a USB cable and USB standards to connect – so up to 5m.

That’s not to say it definitely wouldn’t work over a USB extender, though probably not.
    What exactly are the adaptors though? USB over ethernet extenders or USB-C to network adaptors for a computer?

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Ummi
    Ummi
    Participant

@KeithJA&H

I was using USB-C to network adaptors for a computer.

Seems there is no easy solution here..

Thanks.
    Ludvig

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.