Connect external recorder to qu-32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Connect external recorder to qu-32

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of best100 best100 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of best100
    best100
    Participant

I have a TASCAM DR-40 handheld recorder and I am new to this. Can someone please help me in connecting all the channels from the mixer to the TASCAM for recording. I know the qu-32 has USB recording but I am looking to record it with the TASCAM.

The TASCAM has two L and R EXT MIC/LINE IN

Here is a picture: https://cdn.studiodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2200_dr40-bottom.jpg

I tried using 2 XLR cables and plugged into the mic outputs 6 and 7 but that didn’t work.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Mic outputs or mix outputs?

What are you trying to record? A dedicated mix or the LR mix?

If LR then I’d suggest TRS jacks from alt out to the Tuscan, and then route LR to AltOut on the console routing. You get an extra trim level on the physical pot on the desk, and record the LR signal as you go.

Profile photo of best100
    best100
    Participant

Oh yeah I connected to mix outouts. I am trying to record the main channel, is that called LR mix?

The mixer is owned by a non profit and I am not allowed to change settings.

Is there a to do it without changing any settings and using XLR?

I was to try the 2 TRS out next but I’ll need the get those cables first that’s why I preferred XLR.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The easiest way is to use the stereo QuDrive recording feature.

What you need to do is set the LR mix (i.e. the main output) to be sent to two different outputs (I’d suggest the Alt-Out and Mains) and then use the ALt-Out for the Tascam
    Section 11.14 in the manual https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_9.pdf
    The pot on the surface then becomes a trim control for the levels on the Tascam.

The Tascam has balanced jack inputs, so there is no significant advantage to XLR in this scenario, but you could use a correctly wired TRS-XLR cable, or you could set all channels to be post fade fed to mix9/10 and then use that output for the recording – but that’s a lot more changes than sending LR to Alt-Out

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Have you considered using the 2TRK out? This is a copy of the LR out.

DC

Profile photo of best100
    best100
    Participant

thank you @[XAP]Bob and @davidco. Using the 2TRK out works using Dual TRS cable

Profile photo of best100
    best100
    Participant

I recorded using the 2TRK out. It did record fine but the input volume is really low. I increased it as much as I could on the TASCAM. Is there any knob where I can adjust the recording level in the mixer?

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

2TRK out will follow LR fader. If you want independent level control, you will have to follow Bob’s advice and use the Alt-out, which is assignable (Setup->IO Patch->Surface) and has its own level control near the headphone jack.

DC

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I had *completely* forgotten 2Trk…

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@best100 Hi Sumama, as Bob and DC suggest the ALT out would be the simplest way of recording to a Digital Recorder and this also has a level control. I would assign this to LR pre fade in the SETUP > I/O PATCH > SURFACE menu to make this independent of the LR Master fader. Meaning changes at FOH master won’t effect the recording level. You could also use a Matrix Out and send the LR pre fade to it to achieve this.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    Harry.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Matrix OR 2 Track out would be my prefered sends so as not to loose the alt-out for local monitor or listening wedge at FOH [in my opinion]
    I mean isn’t that what 2Track out is for?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

2Track out is parallel to LR out (shares the same DAC, not patchable by software according to the block diagram) and consequently follows LR fader. I’d personally would prefer something pre-fader for stereo recording.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Totally!
    Iv’e personally never used 2Track out.
    Of course you could use Alt out if you can manage with PAFL into headphones?

Profile photo of best100
    best100
    Participant

I used Alt out and it worked well. Didn’t change any settings from the menu.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.