Compressors in link/unlink mode?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Compressors in link/unlink mode?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lightingman117 lightingman117 6 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

I would like the compressors on my stereo subgoups to be unlinked. Is this possible with the default compressor or from any of those that can be bought?

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I don’t think this is possible.
    the level reduction takes place for both channels simultaneously, so that the stereo image is not disturbed.

if this is important for you you would have to work with two mono-subgroups

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Or instead of stereo channels, when/if they add Ganging to this board, you will be able to do it that way. I would think that it would be added soon since it’s on the dLive and GLD already (hint, hint).

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

he asked for the group compression, ganging is no option on that

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Hi, and thanks for your answers!

On some of the subgroups it quite crucial for me with an option to have unlinked stereo compression, especially on the groups. Because I really would like to have more group options, using mono will even decrease what is avalible (I have 4 aux to monitors and as I understand this give me 8 possible stereo subgroups possibilites). When mixing and mastering all my compressor plugins have the link/unlink options and also a variable for more or less etc).

Do you think that AH might come up with a compressor that will be able to do this? That would certainly help, because linked stereo compressors will certainly (at least for me) mess up my intended stereo/soundfield image for certain groups.

I also had a question earlier today regarding routing from channels to subgroups to LR. No respons yet, maybe you have an idea?

Thanks anyway for your input!

/JC

Profile photo of Gab
    Gab
    Participant

About your question regaring routing: you do this by selecting the bus you want to route to, then press and hold the assign button on the left and select the input or bus you want to send there. I.e. to send group1 to LR, select LR, press and hold ‘assign’ and select group1 (its routed if the select key is illuminated).

SteffenR
    Participant

it makes no sense in a live scenario to unlink stereo-group compressors

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!
    For me unlinked stereo compressors on some of the subgroups make great sense. But I assume that the compressors avalible today for the sq mixer don’t have this link/unlinked function, also with variabel link/unlinked mode.

SteffenR
    Participant

what is variable link/unlink mode?

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Hi Steffen!

In the digital domain there are many pro compressors plugins that have this function. It´s just what´s mentioned, you can decide if it´s more or less linked or unlinked (like a parallel compression knob).

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Hi Steffen!

In the digital domain there are many pro compressors plugins that have this function. It´s just what´s mentioned, you can decide if it´s more or less linked or unlinked (like a parallel compression knob).

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Dave Rat has good reason to not have linked compressors.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.