Compressors for channel inserts

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Compressors for channel inserts

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

I’ve just been configuring my SQ7 for an upcoming show where the lead vocal is run through 2 compressors.

I expected to be able to use the channel insert for one and the channel compressor for the other but there aren’t any available in the library for inserts!

There’s two options I can think of to workaround this:
    1. Use a multiband compressor in the insert
    2. Burn a bus, switch it to a group and use the group’s compressor

My suggestion however is to also make additional compressors available for inserts. I’d happily pay for them as Add ons.
    Alternative suggestion: To be able to switch out the gate for a compressor. I’d prefer to be able to swap the gates for DeEssers on my vocal channels though – another suggestion!

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

+1 on that!

Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

+1 for this.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

+1

The gate for De-Esser would be amazing.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

+1

The gate for De-Esser would be amazing.

But would be against the A&H philosophy.
    poorly 🙁

But let’s hope!

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of EJC
    EJC
    Participant

+1

(I currently do it the group way)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I have a 50+ year background of Live SR and studio recording and I have never accepted a performance that was erratic enough to require double compression. Most of the A&H product line has professional level needs in mind and to that end if you are dealing with a non conforming pop genre screamer, then an external limiter in the front end would be a good idea before the capture ever hits the console pres and converters. IMO there should be a requisite level of mic session skill to be producer level taught and enforced in either the studio or the performance stage. This is not a difficult protocol to maintain in my acoustic Genre endeavors, however I fully well realize in the rock and pop genre the “more me” personnel depend a lot more on console management and gear than session ready skill.
    Hugh

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.