Compressor types explained

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Compressor types explained

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Is there a writeup describing the Opto compressor? I pretty much understand and have used the manual types. I found a link from a previous post about the A&H person describing these but the link does not work.

Thanks

Profile photo of matrixsound
    matrixsound
    Participant

Try this for starters:

https://www.uaudio.com/hardware/compressors/la-3a.html

Was commonly used on masters, vocal subgroups and individual vocals too. Sorry I don’t have a link to an A&H description.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

The links are interesting and I have read up on the Opto compressors. Steffen, the effects link is great – doesn’t cover the Opto setting, but a link I didn’t have stored away yet.

Anyways, I will do some testing soon. I am installing the GLD at a church with limited audio expertise. We use the manual compressors and adjusted as needed. I am worried that they may have difficulty once I leave so I will test the Opto setting and if it sounds acceptable, I will se that and minimize settings for them to worry about. Also I will use the security settings to limit access too…

Thanks again for the help.

Bob

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s a good “set and forget” compressor for vocal soloists and stuff like that. Transparent volume levelling compression, the only issue with it is that if something loud sends it into a lot of gain reduction (maybe a plosive from the singer) it can take a bit too long to release, you can use the sidechain filter to avoid that though.

I’d quite like to see the “16T” setting the iLive has.

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.