Compressor position in the mixes

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Compressor position in the mixes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ThatComplicatedMidiGuy ThatComplicatedMidiGuy 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

the following I wanted to mention for a long time, but I forgot it again and again:
    in the mixes the compressor is pre-fade.
    I think it would be more practical if he were post-fade here.

the reason is simply named:
    in the output you may have monitor speakers that you want to protect with a limiter. if the aux fader is now pulled up further, the pre-fade limiter becomes ineffective.

we had the same thing in iLive back then, after many technicians wanted to change it, it was adapted accordingly.
    it would be nice if you could also do it in dLive.

Wolfgang
    Participant

i find it interesting that nobody but me seems to have noticed this detail this time, or that nobody here seems to react to it.
    so change the times 😉

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Likely because anyone using a console like dLive also has processing in their amps that handle protection etc. better than any console ever could. I would like total freedom to do whatever I want on the console, but if I had to prioritize, this particular feature couldn’t be lower on the list.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Well, it should be easily implementable to make this switchable to pre and post fader. So even if the application is limited, it’s nice to have. Some of us travel only with their own mixer, working with the PA of a venue, and sometimes, not even THAT rarely, they have a stinking amp with some stinking monitors and you’re happy you can get control in your own hands with such tools implemented in the mixer.

Wolfgang
    Participant

at the moment you have to adjust a set limiter by the value around which the masterfader of the aux path is moved. i forgot that before, it cost a tweeter.
    if you could solve this the way you did in iLive, I’d be really happy

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Maybe a post fader insert for all mixes would be good, too. You could insert a Dyn8 and use the multiband compressor to protect lowmid and tweeters with different settings.

Easy to shoot yourself in the foot if you accidentally set a mix-buss comp @ post fade and then adjust the fader on that buss. Would be cool to have the option, for those output busses/matrices though.

@jens – I think a few of us have requested moveable insert point on output busses! I would love *love* to see that happen.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.