Compressor operation audible well below threshold

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Compressor operation audible well below threshold

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant

I have a compressor configured on the L/R mix as a limiter with a very fast attack and 200 ms release, threshold at +6. 1 of our vocalists is complaining that the sound get louder and softer “likes its rolling up and down” whenever the compressor is engaged. This occurs at levels well below the threshold .I can’t hear it but she can and its not her imagination as I had her play a chord on her keyboard and asked her to tell me when she “hears it rolling” as I switched the limiter in and out. She accurately picked the spots where the limiter was engaged and disengaged every time. The compressor is showing no gain reduction but something appears to be happening. Any thoughts or suggestions? FYI, there is no other processing in the chain

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is there any make up gain applied to the LR compressor?

If so maybe with the extra make up gain the level is just high enough
    to trigger another compressor/limiter further downstream from the mixer.

Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant

The only thing downstream from the mixer is the powered PA speakers EV EKX-15sp with EKX-18 subs and the volume is very low, no where near hitting the limiter on the speakers.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The compressor is showing no gain reduction but something appears to be happening.

Please provide a screen shot of the limiter settings…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The only thing downstream from the mixer is the powered PA speakers EV EKX-15sp with EKX-18 subs and the volume is very low, no where near hitting the limiter on the speakers.

Keep in mind the “volume control” on the power speakers does not set the limit of the speakers output.
    It is quite possible to still overdrive the speakers input with the controls turned down
    with enough input signal from a mixer.

How high is the mixer output level metering showing when running the system?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.