Compression on channels when sent to subgroups

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Compression on channels when sent to subgroups

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I just got my Qu24 and been figuring it out. Coming off an O1V2 I’m getting it pretty good.
    However, when assigning drum channels to group 1 & 2 I’ve noticed that the compression from the channel is bypassed. Everything else works (eq, hi-pass, gate). Looks like the only compression is available on the subgroups.

If I’m doing something wrong I would love to know!

Might be something to request on future firmware update.

Ron

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Looking at the manual, what you describe should not happen – the groups should get the same “Post-Fader” send that the L&R gets, which obviously includes compression if switched in.

The mixes however can be selected from “post-PEQ” which is pre-compressor.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I switched things back & forth but no compression on the channels sent to groups. It’s set up like the Aux sends to be switchable pre or post fader & eq but seems not post compression.

Actually, only the Auxes are listed in the switching screen. No mention of the Subgroups.

I will check it out in a few minutes and get back and post results.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

There’s only a global direct out setting and that did not give the results I need.

Funny thing is the channel compression will compress signal going to the effects but not to the groups!

Still looking for that magic setting that will do what is should do from the factory.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Ron

Do you really mean group, or are you looking at the mix busses.

The block diagram on page 58 of the manual shows that groups are only sourced from post fader (the same as L+R). So if you’ve got compression on a channel it must go to the group send.

On the other hand the mix busses can be sourced from several places, including “Post-PEQ” which would act as you describe with no compression (often the best way to do monitors).

I don’t have a 24 (yet) so can’t test this for myself, I guess it’s possible that the manual is completely wrong, but I think it unlikely.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I think I’ve confirmed a problem with the board with Allen & Heath.

The groups get their signal pre compressor. The block diagram is wrong. That was the first thing I noticed. I was thinking that I’m doing something wrong. I spent 30 minutes with an Allen & Heath tech guy (he has a QU16 & couldn’t duplicate the problem) and think something was left out or there’s a problem with my board.

Funny thing is if you use compression on the channel and give it some reverb, the reverb send is compressed but not the signal going to the groups.

Still working tech support to figure out.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Well QU24 v1.4 doesn’t address the issue I’m having. I do like the added color on the eq sections and I think the effects library is bigger.

There are sure some nice sounding verbs in there!

One feature I would like to add is make the soft buttons to pull up different reverb & delay programs in the effects. You wouldn’t have to change or leave the main screen if all you had to do was hit 1 button to go from bug lush reverb to small room!

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Fixed with a hard reset. Funny thing is there’s no (documented) way to route the channel pre compressor to the subgroups.

Going to use it for the first time Saturday at a place where I tie into house system and supplement eg, compression, gating and effects. Just going to use this, plug their snake into it and go!

Ron

Profile photo of jjohnmiller
    jjohnmiller
    Participant

I have just discovered this issue of signal being sent to the subroup pre compressor. It makes me feel slightly less insane that I am not the only one who had the issue. Can anyone confirm that a hard reset will resolve this issue? This basic functionality is critical.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not sure anyone else has ever found it…

Just take abackup of libraries and shows and do the reset, it won’t hurt. Then test the functionality before restoring scenes etc…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.