Compact USB pens. Any working for QU-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Compact USB pens. Any working for QU-Drive?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Been using my Sandisk Ultra and Extreme full size USB3.0 pens with great success for QU Drive multi recording and the rest.
    Just bought a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32g USB3.0 and it’s won’t play ball at all with the QU24.
    It has been formatted on a Mac and subsequently on a PC after the Qu wouldn’t recognise it. (FAT32 as is the norm.)
    The pen works fine in all my computers so it’s not a total loss.
    I want something lower profile for my QU Pac so it won’t get broken off at the first accidental swipe:/
    Any recommendations guys?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

An extension cable – make sure you get one with the correct handedness of right angle by the desk

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

As already stated the Ultra Fit (currently) does not work with the Qu.
    I also prefer the extension cable so the stick vanishes “somewhere else”, harder to pick by third parties…

robbocurry
    Participant

The cable is a good idea and I’ve looked at a few angled adapters on eBay already.
    I’ll probably spring for a cable but I’d still love a low profile USB.
    TBH I liked the idea of something that just fitted with no messing around 😉

robbocurry
    Participant

@andreas
    Ahh, just found you’re previous thread on this subject….yes this should be a sticky!
    As there is quite a bit of info there already, will I copy my post there instead?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…as long it is not sticky it may need some bump from time to time… 😉

Profile photo of Wil Riker
    Wil Riker
    Participant
    robbocurry
    Participant

Thanks for the link Will, good reading 🙂

Profile photo of av8en1
    av8en1
    Participant

I’m currently using a San Disk Cruzer Fit 32. Seems to work well, both playback and record. The hard part is keeping track of it if you remove it from the board ; ) Cost about $15 US.

Also worthy of note: the Qu is a USB 2.0 interface NOT 3.0, so I would expect issues with backward compatibility with some 3.0 devices.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@av8en1: The Cruzer Fit is USB 2.0, did you test multitrack recording too? Mine only works for stereo…
    (I know the Qu is USB2.0 as well, but USB3.0 sticks normally contain much faster chips so also USB2.0 connections profit. MassStorage protocol did not change from USB 2.0 to 3.0, so compatibility on this level shouldn’t be an issue)

Profile photo of av8en1
    av8en1
    Participant

Yes, I made a short duration multitrack recording and played it back prior to posting.

robbocurry
    Participant

Just got this one to try. Very neat, solidly built, exactly what I’ve been looking for.
    Tested it for 30 mins multitrack recording with no apparent glitches 🙂
    I use Transcend CF and SD cards for work and they’ve always proved to be very good, I hope this the same.
    Will be giving it a full two hours at a gig later tonight and will report back.

Attachments:
    robbocurry
    Participant

@andreas
    This tiny drive seems to work perfectly 🙂
    One uninterrupted recording, 18 tracks, 1h 56m long.
    Checked the waveforms and had a listen – all seems good!

Only £11.35 inc P&P here:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371281163979?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Gives almost 4 hours of recording.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Good to know, maybe I’ll give it a try for completeness, but currently I’m happy with the ultra hidden in the dogbox (slightly more difficult to be taken away by 3rd parties…).

robbocurry
    Participant

LOL, it’s not that easy to take out!!
    It took me a few attempts before I could prise it out at the end of the gig. I’ve now added a keyring loop to help removal.
    It’s pretty low profile, unless you were looking for it you may not even see it.
    Just a thought; at that low price, you could offer them to your clients as a small add on…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.