Clock sounds through USB

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Clock sounds through USB

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Angryfish
    Angryfish
    Participant

I have a problem that whenever I attach the desk to the computer via USB I get a constant noice that sounds like a clock noise. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

what kind of computer?
    sounds like a ground problem or a sample rate mismatch

Angryfish
    Participant

I use a collection of mac’s and the problem is the same on all of them – there is a regular tick that comes through on everything, all channels including Stereo ins from cd for example and both appears in input meters and records audibly. It does this through the USB form the QU16 and I have tried my BOSE mini-mixer and it doesn’t do this so definitely generated form the QU

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@angryfish ,

While it is possible that this could be coming from the Qu, it may also be due to the connection, something else taking up bandwidth on the USB bus (the Qu will use a lot more bandwidth than the Bose), USB power settings or sample rate settings.
    I’d recommend ensuring you are recording at 48kHz, trying different USB cables and ports and switching off any power saving options that might be enabled.
    If you’re still having problems, please contact us using support.allen-heath.com with more details about your setup (e.g. the models of mac you have tried and the program/settings you are using to record).

Cheers,
    Keith.

SteffenR
    Participant

what is the software used to record?
    and wich settings did you use?

sample rate, buffer size, buffers used, latency reported from the DAW
    do you use an aggregated device?

Angryfish
    Participant

hi I am using an apple mac and I have the same issues across 3 different devices while using Logic and playing anything directly through the desk into the computer – I have to admit to not knowing the rest of the technical questions

I connect directly to the MAC via USB and have tried two different cables that both work on a different mixer

SteffenR
    Participant

I have to admit to not knowing the rest of the technical questions

if your mixer and your DAW project won’t match in sample rate you will hear clicks…
    so you have to find out at wich sample rate is your DAW recording

Angryfish
    Participant

How do I do that – I am using Logic and have tried to find the sample rate but failing?

HELP PLEASE

SteffenR
    Participant

you should ask a Logic guy
    or consult your manual of Logic

are there any other audio devices involved?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@angryfish

Like @SteffenR indicated, your problem is mac/DAW related and you need to learn how to use those with usb.
    Many things can cause problems so you need to know what you are doing to set things up properly.

There are large descriptions of the things you have to do with windoze to make it work right.
    I would expect there are some similar ones for macs and logic.
    Try reading them.

Angryfish
    Participant

Hi and thnks for the advice – I have tried everything including re-setting my sample rates to match, everything is now at 48Khz and this has just made the electrical noises into hisses and click both more frequently i guess due to the sample rate, and slightly louder too.

I think it may well be tha there is a genuine problem with the USB board so can anyone suggest how I get the desk mended

Cheers

Robin

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @angryfish (Robin),

I’ve had a search through the support system, but couldn’t find anything recent from you.
    As suggested, please contact us so we can run through some troubleshooting before you send off your desk to be checked.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Angryfish
    Participant

Please see the post above that I put up this morning re having reset matching sample rates

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@angryfish

You are too quick to blame the Qu when there are so many other things on the PC side that are the likely cause.

You may use different macs but you used the same software.
    You say you matched sample rates, but what did you do about buffer sizes and other critical parameters that can cause problems.

Have you fully scrubbed your mac to optimize it for audio use?

How do you know your security software is not interfering with the usb ?
    What about social media aps that phone home all the time?

There are so many other more likely causes that you ignore in your haste to blame the Qu for the problems.

Angryfish
    Participant

Because The repair people said it was the USB board – But thanks for the unfounded and personal criticism based on absolutely nothing – Hope others can be as useful when you have an issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.