Clipping internally

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Clipping internally

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Reticuli Reticuli 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

@volounteer

maybe my excerpt was in the wrong context. I never doubted that anything added to 0dBfs will not end in unpleasant distortion.
    My point was, that gain staging in digital consoles leaves you with possibilities (depending on the console) where the console will tell you it is clipping but will actually give you wanted side effects without destroying the signal.

This will show what I am talking about

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@RS

AFAIK you can gain stage and avoid the clipping artifacts,
    and in most likely places you will be notified if clipping could be happening.
    If you also selected other layers then you could see it in other less observed places where it could happen.
    What you cannot see is every place at once. Would be a nice AH feature to warn if clipping was anywhere to alert you to look.
    But I guess they figure sensible folks just keep the signal levels low enough throughout that there is no risk.

And of course if you apply fx or other processing you get whatever they do to the signal just fine if you do not clip anywhere.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

On dLive the clipping LED not necessarily is a sign for destroyed audio.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@RS

True
    It is a warning that you are close , but could be clipping, and you should back off the gain to avoid the light.

Profile photo of Reticuli
    Reticuli
    Participant

Most other digital mixers I’ve encountered tend to peak at clip or -1dBFS. Using -3dBFS as the top LED, labeled peak in this case, makes some sense considering you won’t get inter-sample peaks if you stay below -3dBFS. In fact, I believe they’re pretty difficult to encounter unless you’re up past -2 to -1dBFS, but that’s a healthy margin. This is especially good practice for their proprietary fixed point boards.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.