Choose which network adaptor is used by Editor?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Choose which network adaptor is used by Editor?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Jeff 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I have a situation where a PC is connected to two networks simultaneously, public WiFi, and also Ethernet cable to the audio control network.

Is it possible to tell GLD Editor which network adaptor to use when looking for the desk? Currently it will not find the desk while connected to the wifi, presumably because it’s looking for it on the wifi network which isn’t where it is. We’re currently getting around this by disabling the wifi, but it would be much better if we didn’t have to do this.

Chris

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    I have the exact same setup at church, two GLD-80’s on an isolated church AV network (10.10.2.x) and each has its own dedicated PC on both the isolated church AV network (10.10.1.x) and church Wi-Fi (192.168.3.x).
    On the Church AV network we use static IP assignments, 255.255.252.0 Gateway (so the 10.10.0.x to 10.10.3.x ranges we use can talk to each other) and we leave the Gateway and DNS settings blank (IMPORTANT).
    The church Wi-Fi connection is simple DHCP as the church network administrator handles all of that and it’s all standard DHCP pool. The exception is they have our Teradek Vidiu streaming box MAC address permanently linked to the IP we want in the Verizon Router’s IP table so it doesn’t get re-assigned.

This works like a champ, and we didn’t even have to specify which network interface to use, just entered the GLD-80’s IP address. The only issue we ever had during setup was when we initially added a DNS setting to the AV network PC/Mac connections, as the computers would try to reach the DNS server for web-based connections. This also affected trying to reach the Internet over the church Wi-Fi. Once we deleted the DNS entry, all was good.

Oh, and just a handy DNS tip unrelated to the wired AV/Wi-Fi Internet network issue, do make sure that you have your Secondary DNS Server IP settings on any computer is set to something OTHER than your ISP’s DNS servers (like if you have Verizon, set the 2ndary DNS to Google’s DNS at 8.8.8.8). I can’t tell you how many times Verizon’s East Coast DNS servers have pooped the bed, and it always seems to be during Sunday Services, taking down our live stream and our Children’s Church Online Check-In software on their PCs. Once we found discovered that the reason my AV PC’s never fell of the Internet during these outages was because I’d been using OpenDNS’s DNS server settings for years (so Verizon’s DNS outage didn’t affect me), we implemented at least one non-Verizon DNS addresses on all PCs, and later on the church router as well, and have had no issues since.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Thanks for this Jeff. I may need some more help to get my head around it.

Does this work because the GLD’s IP is outside the range the WiFi adaptor is working in, so it instead goes via the adaptor that is in the correct range? If so, what’s to stop it looking for it via the wifi’s gateway? Does it only use gateways if it can’t access the address on any of it’s adaptors?

If the public wifi was a 192.x.x.x address and the control wifi was 193.x.x.x would editor/windows automatically choose the correct network adaptor if I told it to look for the desk on 193.168.0.2, for example?.

Chris

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Chris,
    If your Subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 like most are, then the first 3 octets need to match for the PC and GLD to find each other, so it shouldn’t be confusing the 192.x.x.x and 193.x.x.x ranges and keeping the Gateway and DNS clear in your AV should keep the PC from looking out on the public Wi-Fi for it. By using different IP ranges, when you put the GLD IP in GLD Editor, it automatically looks at the available network interfaces for the one with the compatible IP range. If you had the GLD on the same IP range as the public network, even if on different network adapters, the PC wouldn’t know which one to use to get to it, and would default to the one that is most set up, i.e. DHCP/DNS/Gateway entries all filled in.

The Gateway entry is only needed if you’re going to go outside of your network, so you don’t need one if everything is on the same network and don’t need to route outside of that network (and don’t want one on every adapter if the PC has multiple adapters on mutliple networks).

Jeff

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful. I think both networks are currently using 192.x.x.x, and the wifi would be the most fully set up of the two.

I’ll make these changes on Sunday and see how it goes.

I’d originally thought we’d need a feature to select the network adaptor as exists in some other software, but apparently not.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I set this up today and it works perfectly, thanks for your help.

Chris

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Excellent! Glad to help 🙂

Jeff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.