Channels Bleeding Over on USB B Logic Pro X Recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Channels Bleeding Over on USB B Logic Pro X Recording

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jon Jon 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Ok this is really weird.

I’ve been using a Qu-24 for a couple weeks now. Just yesterday, I was recording a live band just to try out the 24-channel USB B recording feature. I plugged in my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 7200 1TB HDD) to the USB B port on the Qu, then fired up the latest version of Logic Pro X. (I’m also running latest version of OS X Mavericks)

I was able to change the inputs in Logic just fine so that each input channel on the Qu-24 was being recorded into separate tracks in Logic. I was seeing signals in Logic for each input, so I started the recording.

Just to keep things straight for you all, I had vocals on channels 1-6 and Toms from an electric drum kit on channel 17, with the cymbals from the same electric kit on channel 18.

So, today I’m running through the recording. Here’s what I’m finding: If I solo channel 17 and/or 18, I’m hearing (and seeing in the audio waveforms) my vocals from channels 1-6. It’s really weird! There isn’t any reason I can think of that those vocals should be in the Toms and Cymbals’ channels, but for some odd reason, they are. The Vocals were recorded in their proper channels on Logic (1-6), as were the Toms and Cymbals in their proper channels (17 & 18), but the vocals were also in the Toms and Cymbals channels.

Has anyone heard of this issue? I’m new to digital mixers, but catching on quickly. Also only had Logic for about a year, but I feel comfortable in it. However, it is possible that I am overlooking something on the Qu or in Logic.

I’m running Firmware version 1.5 if that helps.

Thanks!
    Jon

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Jon,
    welcome to the forum and the world of digital mixers 🙂

My suggestion for trouble shooting is to do a test at home or in your studio,…. wherever it is.

Record one channel at a time and see if you get the same results. Load up the same Logic project and the same scene from the Qu24 mixer. Doing this “test” to verify that the routing is identical to your previous (messed up) recording.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Did you changed the routing in the mixer?

Default routing is:
    1-16 Direct Out
    17/18 Qu-Drive Stereo

see manual on page 57

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

dpdan – Thanks! I have tried this at home and have replicated the “issue”…

steffenromeiss – Yes, I see that now! I don’t know why I had looked over that before. Thanks! The “issue” was actually supposed to happen! You know, somehow I knew it would be something that easy that I overlooked. Thanks again.

– Jon

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

it sounds like you have it figured out…
    were some of the channels assigned to the same USB channel going into Logic?

thanks Steffen!

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Kind of..

By default, the Qu-24 outputs 17 and 18 on both USB and Qu-drive recording as the main LR mix outs. So, in my recording, I basically just shift the channels up two spots and I have the rest of my instruments – minus the last two, which weren’t that important anyway.

Logic was configured correctly. It was just the outputs of the Qu’s USB I did not take into consideration. My mistake! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.