Channel strip delay value 0.2 ms impossible to set

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Channel strip delay value 0.2 ms impossible to set

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlap
    jlap
    Participant

On QuPad it’s impossible to set the time to 0.2 ms, the value jumps from 0.1 to 0.3 no matter how hard I try…Maybe a bug?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess this is more by design than a bug. Delay below 1mSec are better counted in Samples, for 48kHz samplingrate one 1mSec consists of 48 samples, 0.5mSec would be 24 Samples and 0.25mSec 12 Samples accordingly. If internal processing operates in bunches of 8 Samples, for example, the minimum delay would be 0.166mSec. Two bunches, or 16 Samples would result in a delay of 0.333mSec. If you do not round the result but truncate it, you exactly get the observed 0.1/0.3 step.
    But that’s only guessing… 😉
    …not trying to understand why you need a 0.2mSec delay…

Profile photo of jlap
    jlap
    Participant

Sounds like a good explanation…I have an acoustic guitar with K&K Pure Mini and DPA 4099. I was delaying the piezo relative to the condencer mic and testing the sound of different values. The mic was 10 cm above the strings(0.29 ms @ 48 kHz) so I just wanted to test the closest possible values to that and find out which one I liked the best 😉

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I somehow doubt that the mic distance difference is equal for each string and don’t forget most sound of an acoustic guitar comes from the body. You simply can’t obtain phase-coherency between two mics from an acoustic using a single delay line. Just pan both sources out of center and you should get a very nice sounding acoustic.

Profile photo of jlap
    jlap
    Participant

Well, I don’t think I’ve stated anywhere in my post, that the distance between each string and the mic is equal or that you could get phase coherency using delay…These two mics’ frequency responses are very different, and their distance to the sound source is different. DPA’s function in my setup is to reproduce the pick attack and the high end of the sound, where as the K&K attached to the bridge plate provides more of the mids and the low end and are equalized accordingly. Applying delay to one of the signals is one way to change the frequency response in the critical areas, and if it sounds better, it is better. But, this is all off topic: you already answered my original question, thank you for that 🙂

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Out of curiousity I’ve tested this too and I can get 0.2 sec delay but I have to pull my finger away a bit from the sliderwindow te be more precise.

Giga

Profile photo of jlap
    jlap
    Participant

I’m aware of the “moving away to be more precise”-function and I’m using it. Which mixer do you have, Giga? I have Qu-SB
    and the delay steps goes: .1, .3, .4, .6, .7, .9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.3 ms and so on…So it seems like a mixer/sw design feature, like Andreas mentioned in his earlier post.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I have the SB too 👍

Giga

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@giga: we’re talking about mSec not Sec… 😉

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Uh oh….. I can get that too Mr. Funnyman 👋

(that’s why I’m) Giga

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.