Channel properly routed now gone in FOH

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Channel properly routed now gone in FOH

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gradio
    Gradio
    Participant

So, this week as our team went to record (video) the pastor’s sermon for our on-line Sunday presentation, I was readying our system (QU-32) and the pastor’s lav channel suddenly was no longer accessible in the FOH speakers. We didn’t fully need it for that as we are not meeting in person for the time being (COVID-19), but the pastor likes to have a touch of his mic in the house system for a realistic service feel. The oddity is that his lav channel is routed through every mix that we have on the board and is working on every feed except for the FOH.

We’ve had this board for over a year and a half (and love everything about), but this is the first time we’ve had this issue. While not being the sharpest tool in the shed, I set this system up initially (going from an analog desk to digital) and have been fairly proficient in operating it, but this has me stumped. Any help/direction would be appreciated.

GW

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@gradio

Something got changed somewhere.

What is different ?

Cable moved?
    Mute button?
    Internal routing??

Profile photo of Gradio
    Gradio
    Participant

Nothing has (knowingly) changed since I set up the board. With the down time, I’ve been experimenting with different EQ set-ups on our vocals and drums, but nothing beyond that.

Since we began videoing our worship and sermon for on-line distribution, I set up Mix 7-8 for an audio feed to our camera for recording and that has worked as it should for three weeks while our pastor’s mic came through the FOH as desired for the first two weeks before disappearing before yesterday’s session. I’ve been the sound tech for all three weeks of video recording so that variable has not changed.

I’ve done a visual comparison of pastor’s channel compared to our other inputs and everything looks identical channel to channel.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

look at the routing screen
    maybe the send to the main mix is off

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Are you using the iPad app? It’s way too easy to simply turn a channel off on that. (different to mute).

volounteer
    Participant

@gradio

Something changed!!!!!

It could be a hardware failure but I bet it is USER ERROR.

Give me a nickle for every customer who told me that nothing had changed and their computer just stopped working on its own……

Profile photo of Gradio
    Gradio
    Participant

I’m not doubting that I must have done something…it just wasn’t done purposely/knowingly. I’m always the first to own up to a mistake (it’s always the sound guy’s fault anyways, so why fight it?). And I really don’t think it could possibly be hardware failure. Otherwise, I’d not be getting that mic working fine on a plethora of other feeds it’s also sent to.

No to working off an iPad today (or in the last several months actually).

Checked my routing screen while there earlier today and the sends to all of my mixes were in the “ON” selection.

I’m home now so no access to my desk, but I’ll check on the suggestions given when I go back in to troubleshoot early next week.

Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll be back once I’m in front of my mixer again.

volounteer
    Participant

@gradio

The battle is not always to the strong
    the race is not always to the swift
    but my bookie says that is the way to bet

You did print out the master configuration sheet didnt you?
    So print it out again and compare it

Or does AH not provide such a simple way to document the device and how it is set up???
    If not then I have to ask why such a necessary document is not feasible.

Profile photo of Gradio
    Gradio
    Participant

No such configuration sheet that I’m aware of. Then again, getting this mixer up and running on the go (mixer arrived late on a Thursday afternoon and was told “…and we need this up and running for rehearsal by 8am Sunday”) was a minor miracle in and of itself. Getting the base functions enabled and routed correctly was good enough to get us started and I’ve continually expanded my knowledge of the mixer moving forward (while still only scratching the surface of what it can do).

But, obviously, I’m still very much a neophyte in comparison to others here…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is it just the pastor LAV mic that is out in the main system and all other input channels come through fine?

Are you feeding the main system with the L R outputs?
    Do you have the LAV channel routed through a group?

volounteer
    Participant

@gradio

The lav mike would be RF wouldn’t it?

Have you checked the RF comms and how it comes into the Qu?

Our RF mikes quit once when someone had not checked the battery
    and another time the singer did not turn the mike on.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The lav mike would be RF wouldn’t it?

Have you checked the RF comms and how it comes into the Qu?

Our RF mikes quit once when someone had not checked the battery
    and another time the singer did not turn the mike on.

He said it was working on every mix except FOH, so not a mic issue.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

is it possible that it gets assigned to a DCA and the DCA is down?
    so the DCA overrides the fader level

go to the routing screen, select the DCA tab
    to use DCA you need to assign them to the surface on the user layer

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Select the main LR strip. On the left side of the board, hold down the green Assign button. Is the lav mic channel select button lit? If not, while still holding down the Assign button, press the channels select button to assign it to the LR mix.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Is the LR mix muted? When the pastor is speaking, do the LR meters show signal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.