Channel muted by themselves…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Channel muted by themselves…

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Doing a conference on a QU-24 and just had three channels mute by themselves…

Not part of a mute group, no scene recalled, no iPad in use… One minute they were live, the next they were muted!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Some PC/Mac connected to the USB port with an active application capable of sending MIDI? Channel Mutes can be controlled via MIDI using regular Note ON/OFF events.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Was the network connected to anything?

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

No USB connected, network port was connected to a wireless router (no internet) but no wireless devices

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, just wondering how the Qu would respond to port scanning attacks. Hopefully your WiFi is properly secured and does not broadcast its SSID. In a public space you never know who is in…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

This is the reason I have always been a bit saddened that the desk has no authentication at all on the network side.

I kind-a sort-a trust my QU WiFi, but…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

What are the odds that someone sinister was close enough to get in? Not likely. I vote for something internal.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Chances to get into the WiFi totally depends on the security setting. WEP and WPA are nowadays rather easy to infiltrate, WPA2 is the least one should use. Hiding the SSID (non broadcasting) adds another barrier (out of sight – out of mind).
    Once a device is connected to the WiFi network, communication with any other node is easily possible. The Qu with the total lack of authentication may interpret any incoming packet (i.e. sent by some port scanner utility) as control data.
    I know there are many people around who everywhere and anytime try to find open WiFi networks and “look” whats behind. Not necessarily bad intention to hack the Qu, but maybe just a bad coincidence of packet content.

@dave: Hmm, which firmware version are you running on your Qu24? Maybe the recently fixed sporadic-fader-movement-bug can do more than just fader movements.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Andreas…

My thoughts exactly. As long as there’s a device connected to the network port you cannot rule out the possibility of the board interpereting any activity on it as a control command.

The first trouble-shooting step is simply to disconnect the network port device.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Odds are low, but non zero. And sinister isn’t a requirement – I’ve no idea how the QU responds to random stuff on the NIC, maybe a jumbo frame causes an overflow somewhere, maybe anything….

Profile photo of TheDude
    TheDude
    Participant

Once you set up passwords for the three user levels (admin, standard, and basic), anyone connecting with an Internet device will have to log in to the mixer.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

They will with latest firmware – but afaik no one has done a full pen test against the nic of a QU

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.