Channel LowCut does not work when sending through groups?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Channel LowCut does not work when sending through groups?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AlexMahn
    AlexMahn
    Participant

Hallo Guys,

this is my first post, so i´m glad that i finally made it to the forum 🙂 However i did not find any related low cut based issues with the search function.

Maybe i´m totally dumb… it happens… but normally in our mixing desk world, the signal flow through groups in pretty clear, right? Something like Post Fader.

But in my weird dLive world, when i´m sending a channel with low cut solely into a group, i can still hear all the rumble down below… 🙁

Is there something i´m missing. I´cant imagine that after all these years… the mistake must be on my side.

Thanks so much. Cheers Alex

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

How much is getting through? Is the filter making any difference at all?

The HPF on a dLive has a few different options… Any chance it’s set to -12dB/octave instead of -24dB/octave and you just aren’t used to it?

AlexMahn
    Participant

Hi Dave,

yeah, i´m sure it´s my fault, tt must be a -12dB/Octave thing with a good amount of level, because i really need to push the singer to cut through the mix. I should have explained the case better. But it feels weird for me… because the group PFL sounds like LowCut OFF. And the Channel does not. There was a difference. But there should not be a difference regarding the LowCut on the PFL, no?

Happened during soundcheck, the vocal-channel goes through 2 mono groups. Its just a way of parallel compression and i like it on two faders and not the wet/dry option.

Singer told me: “why is it so bumpy…?” I thought, yeah why is it so bumpy…? LowCut ON / 230Hz with -12dB/octave. So -24dB down at 57,5Hz? Singer is on the bright side of the human vocal range. It´s the normal Showfile we use and we used it on much bigger Systems without the rumble… Just a Kara stack with two subs each side.

PFL the Groups… and i thought, there is no LowCut at all…what? Then i used the quick and dirty option with the LowCut on the Group PEQ. Worked like a charm… maybe in addition. Maybe i need to improve my lowcutting… but i don´t understand the PFL thing.

Thanks und cheers. Alex

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

The thing that’s weird to me is that, as far as I know, there’s not a way to send channels to a group (or aux) pre-filter.

How are you running monitors? If you’re splitting the inputs into FoH channels and monitor channels, is there any chance the singer’s monitor channel doesn’t have the HPF on and it got routed to the two vocal groups? Or that the singer’s mic got double-patched for some other reason? If you select a group and hit to the “Routing” button, it’ll show you what channels are assigned to it.

AlexMahn
    Participant

Yeah, good point. I need to double check the routing. IMHO a group is always post fader, no matter what. It was in the analog domain and it is in the digital world. So it could be a “blind passenger” on the group for sure. It´s the only explanation for the PFL thing.

I don´t run monitors on this file. I split with giga-ace card to a SQ7 for Monitors, through tie-lines. So just after the gain and no routing back, just communication channels.

I will check anyways. Its dumb mistake on my side, with a big laugh. I´m sure of it.

If it´s not a routing issue, then i simply don´t know whats going on. Thanks for all the help Dave! Xo A

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

You’re welcome, and keep us posted!

AlexMahn
    Participant

Hi Dave,

i checked all the routing options again. Just the two vocal channels in the group. I can´t explain it and i can´t reproduce it. Obviously the LowCut is working and i checked also with the vocal-mic our singer uses. I could swear the Channel LowCut sounded totally OFF on the group PFL.

Sorry for the fuzz. Everything seems alright, exept of myself. Maybe i go nuts. LOL.

Thanks again, case closed, i guess.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Yay! We fixed it! 😁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.