Channel Gain on T112 affects volume on ME1 system

Forums Forums ME Forums ME troubleshooting Channel Gain on T112 affects volume on ME1 system

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Underscore Underscore 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gkadokg
    gkadokg
    Participant

My band isn’t able to hear from thier ME1 system when I turn down the gain on a channel on a T112 iLive board. I don’t know why it would be affecting them when it’s only for the Front of House. Is there a way to change this?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Anything that you can send to the ME-1 will be at least post gain, as there is only one pre-amp for each physical input. Is that what you meant, or is the master send fader affecting the ME-1 level?

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of gkadokg
    gkadokg
    Participant

So the ME system is connected to our rack behind the stage, but when I’m at the soundboard if I were to select the electric guitar channel for example, and then turn down the gain (upper left corner of the T112 board) to make changes coming out of my main speakers, then my bass player will not be able to hear the electric guitar through his ME system. So it’s like I have to keep the gain up and messup what I’m trying to do for the audience just so my bass player can keep hearing the electric guitar…or vocals or drums or whatever else i want to turn the gain down on. It doesn’t make sense, my understanding is that my soundboard controls shouldn’t affect what the band hears through the ME system.
    If I have a monitor (wedge) sitting on the stage floor for the choir to hear themselves and I adjust the gain, they don’t hear it through the monitor…so i don’t know why the ME system is hearing the gain levels.
    How can I change that?

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

“If I have a monitor (wedge) sitting on the stage floor for the choir to hear themselves and I adjust the gain, they don’t hear it through the monitor”

Sure they do. You understand that the Gain is there to attenuate (or even out) the Input signals? Everything in the board: Mains, monitors, groups, DCA’s, Subs, Matrix’s, ME-1’s etc. are post Gain. Try it with a wedge and see.

Why are you making large Gain changes in the middle of the show? These should be sorted out by the middle of the sound-check.

-Mark

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Everyone has their own way of working, but a more conventional approach would be to set the channel gains once during setup, then adjust the send levels for the mains and monitors using the channel faders. You might need to adjust the gain if you notice the preamp meter peaking, but this should be the exception rather than the rule. I have heard of people setting all faders to zero and using the gain knobs to mix, but the faders are there for this exact purpose, and there is not really a downside to using them. Mixing with the faders will also mean that adjusting your main mix should not affect the ME-1 volume.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of gkadokg
    gkadokg
    Participant

So our ME system stopped working and we had to reset our ME system from the rack. I wasn’t there when it happened so I still need to get info. It’s possible that may have corrected something (I got no complaints from the band about their ME during the last show)
    But before the reset I wasn’t making any big gain changes during the show…maybe that is the point…i didn’t have to make a big change before some band members are not able to hear out of their ME system. I do make gain changes when several different people use the same mic, like different soloists. Or if there is any feedback from the mic or a ringing sound I’ll turn down the gain a bit, and that will mess with the ME system. So incase this reset didn’t work, is there something I can change on the ME system that affects that? Or is it possible for the ME to only be pre-fader?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

If your ME outputs are set to use the Input Direct Out, as shown in the second image below, then this has a number of options:

• There is a per-channel direct-out trim that you can set in the Routing screen; select one of your input channels and use the ‘Ip Direct Out’ control, shown in the first image below.
    • The same screen also has the ‘Global Ip Direct Out Source’, where you can change which point in the input channel feeds the direct out send to the ME system.
    • Lastly, if you hold the ‘Setup’ key while in the Routing screen, you will find options to have the direct out send follow fader and/or mute, or not. It sounds like you want to turn these options off.

Hopefully this gives you enough options to work with.

Note that even with all these options, if you alter a preamp gain, this will affect the level of that signal throughout the whole system. For scenarios along the lines of ‘this input needs to be louder in my mix’, you should use the channel faders, which by default will not affect the input direct out level.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

I know this is an old thread, but for someone else looking for an answer to this situation, another alternative would be:
    Set the ME point of signal to the mix rack input(post pre-amp gain only), adjust the gains to satisfy the ME users, then any other signal level changes done with the Digital Trim option that would be after the ME point of signal and affect downstream only.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.