Changing snapshot in Waves MR from Dlive

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Changing snapshot in Waves MR from Dlive

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ssandhaug
    ssandhaug
    Participant

Hey,

My setup is a C1500 with CDM48 and a Waves server running multitrack thru the waves v3 card.

I´m trying to figure out how to change snapshot in Waves Multirack from the console, either by snapshot change on the console or a softkey. MIDI is obviously not my strong side.

Thanks for any help!

Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

dLive sends PGM Change with every scene. So make a corresponding scene in MR. There’s a Mac-Driver for MIDI over TCP. Add a Bridge cable from dLive Network to Waves-Card, install driver and chose this MIDI-Port as Input for MR, then every scene-recall will recall MR scene.
    Not working on Win right now. Solutions should be on the way, didn’t check 1.5, they say it’ll work, but they don’t say with which standard. I guess rtpMIDI on Windows (didn’t try it), but Mac with A&H Mac MIDI-TCP Driver works fine!

Profile photo of ssandhaug
    ssandhaug
    Participant

Thanks Pete, but it’s still not working. I get this error message when I assign the AH midi driver and press apply. Any thoughts why?
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/06cc61618142f955ca1f704a8d549fbd.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I have a question is there a way to send Pgm change as well as other MIDI messages from physical device to Mac which would then send them to dLive via TCP driver?
    Hope the HW solution comes one day as the only known candidate- Kissbox is not working yet.

ddff

DDFF_LV – yes: If you use the TCP midi driver, bi-directional midi communications automatically happen via that midi “device,” in whatever software you’re attempting to use it for. For instance, I was checking out what messages were actually being sent to/from the thing so, had Osculator look to TCP midi as a midi device, the program change messages from dLive popped right up on scene recall, as well as midi fader movements and so forth.

Example 2: in Ableton, I’ve got outgoing commands being sent to the dLive via Program change messages (on clip launch,) that are routed to the dLive by way of the “TCP Midi,” driver (which shows up as a midi “device.”)

If you want to, you can do this the other way around, IE the dLive will easily trigger Ableton and so forth. Where that gets squirrely is that Ableton will not differentiate program change values as discrete cues, IE program change on channel 16, even though I’ve got values 0-128 on bank 1, will *still* only show up as “Program change, 16.” So you can’t map scene change triggers directly to Ableton.

HOWEVER: If you use something like Osculator as an intermediary, you can then map those discrete program change values to multiple commands simultaneously, including to Ableton, as well as osc messages being sent to other devices in house. (Lighting, for example.)

This gets interesting in a number of ways: if you use Ableton as a clock/timing master, you can issue those cues in really interesting ways that synchronize, musically, to what is happening on stage. In a show recently I had the sound board issue a go command to Ableton, which then ran a timeline that issued commands to a Pro Presenter machine doing environmental projection/video, lighting, and timed sub-cues on the desk.

In your particular example – just map your controller to clip launch buttons in Ableton, and have those issue the program changes to the dLive that trigger the cues you want. I’m doing that very thing with a Rocktron midi mate when the band is short and they need another player. You don’t have to use Ableton either, Osculator will do it as well. I just prefer doing it with Ableton for the musical timing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

If you go the Ableton route, here’s the bit you care about. (Using midi “dummy,” clips.)

Attachments:
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Wow, that is one detailed explanation. But in my case there is a HW MIDI device, that sends PGM change. So there is Miditech MIDI>USB adapter in MacBook and A&H TCP driver on it. Basically I just need to bridge those together. I got an advice from A&H to use Bome Midi Translator Pro. Will try that out, I guess.

ddff

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

By far the easiest way to do this is to use SNOIZE midi monitor running in background and select “act as destination for other programs..”under sources…that way all msgs sent from your usb midi device will also be sent to A&H tcp midi driver…

Ray

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Allright, so I got to some experiments. The MIDI monitor seem to be working fine, but I can’t get Programm Change to switch scenes on dLive. Also when I switch scenes on dLive there is no Programm Change sent out of dLive. Here is a screenshot from Midi monitor, I have external device (TC Electronic M-One), that sends PgmChange via Miditech MidiLink Mini interface. The only output from A&H driver is when I move MIDI fader or press transport control buttons. Any ideas what is wrong there?

ddff

Attachments:
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

OK, update – I’ve downloaded the MIDI Translator Pro from BOME and it is now passing MIDI messages from MidiLink to A&H. Funny thing there is no indication in Director the scene has been changed, so I made some scenes where differences can be clearly seen. Also there is some MIDI sent to device when I recall scenes via Director, TC Electronic shows MIDI activity and “Event Unknown” message.
    Now just have to wait until Bome will release updated FW for their MIDI Box, that will include compatibility with dLive.

ddff

If you’re just bridging a hardware device I would honestly just spend $20 on Osculator. It does all the message sniffing you’ll need for any number of complex command-things, and allows you to create custom midi messaging specifically to interpolate program changes—>Dlive sysEx Hex values.

I was actually doing this very thing today with my RockTron MidiMate. Happy to send you my template once it’s done.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, if you get it working, I’d be very happy if you’d share your story and technical details. I’m just looking at any working pure HW solution. As compact as possible.

ddff

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, this is another piece of software. That could be a temporary solution, but I’d prefer super compact HW solution, for touring I don’t prefer laptop.

ddff

Yeah, nice to not have to tour w/ lappy. I don’t think there are any physical midi ports on this thing though, so one way or another you have to go through TCP midi via a machine of some sort, no?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

No, there are no MIDI ports on dLive if that is what you’ve ment. People from Bome said they’re working on FW of their BomeBox, that will bridge physical ports with TCP/IP compatibe with dLive. They said it’s a question of few weeks.

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.