Changing an input to an output

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Changing an input to an output

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

With analogue boards and snakes, I was able to use “gender change adapters” to change an input to an output on the stagebox. Like if I needed an extra monitor receive on the stagebox.

I have a QU-16 and will soon receive a QU-sb. I’m trying to decide between an Ab-168 or an Ar-2412. I like the form factor of Ab-168, but worry that 8 outputs may not be enough.

Can QU mixers route an output signal, for example a monitor mix, to an input of a dsnake stagebox?

My guess is “No,” but more experienced users make think of workarounds.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Of course not. Contrary to an analog snake the digital stageboxes contain non-trivial electronics. Inputs are connected to a gain amplifier and an ADC while the output are connected to some symmetry circuit driven by a DAC. This obviously can’t be swapped by some button press on the console…

I don’t know your needs, for feeding wedges plus a PA 8 outputs may work well. If you need to feed four independant in-ears in stereo, there are no outputs left for the PA. On the other hand you are able to “add” outputs using ME-1 units…

Barryjam
    Participant

Alternatively, can a dsnake input on stagebox be reprogrammed as an output?

Barryjam
    Participant

Thank you, Andreas. Yes, I’m also considering Me-1 for additional outputs. 12-piece horn band with 5 vocalists. Other details get into the usual band resistance to change, so, from experience, maximum flexibility is more important than monetary cost.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If “reprogrammed” means to remove the input circuit, solder in some output circuit with DAC, attach that DAC in some way to the controlling CPU or FPA, crack the internal firmware to route some stream from dSnake to that new output circuit, fake identity answer to the Qu, so the Qu also sees that you now have a AB-159 connected, maybe you need an additional hack on the Qu firmware so your Qu-159 is correctly identified as such, then the answer obviously is yes.
    Otherwise no. 😉

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, 12+5 makes 17, according to my math knowledge. So an AR168 does not have enough inputs as well, right?
    Anyway, you may add a second AB168 to the expander port (don’t know if an AR84 would work as well on a AB168) later to add inputs/outputs if required.
    If money and space doesn’t matter a AR2412+AR84 nicely fits into one flightcase along with wireless router etc.

Barryjam
    Participant

The 168 would be enough inputs if the qu mixer is left on stage and FOH mixes with IPad.

Thanks so much for your help!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

But with the mixer on stage you also have all local outputs in addition to those on the 168, right?
    …wondering why the FX sends can’t be routed to a dSnake output, at least on Qu16. That way you could get additional mix outputs… maybe worth a feature request…

Profile photo of JohnK
    JohnK
    Participant

The AR-2412 isn’t much more money, and it looks like it will fit nicely within an SKB 3-U shallow rack … I would think this would be preferable to the AB-168 in terms of equipment protection anyway.

Barryjam
    Participant

Yes, I would have the local outputs if the mixer is left on stage. That’s the kind of brain nudge I needed this morning. DUH on me!

Still, I’m looking for max flexibility if our sound guy (who mixes from FOH position) can’t/won’t mix from IPad because he thinks he needs months of “wasted learning of an entirely new system” (I know, IMHO its more like a day of practice at a rehearsal). Or WI-FI doesn’t work for some strange reason on the qu-sb, and we are forced to use the QU-16 FOH and qu-sb (unedited settings) as a sub-mixer in the emergency.

Excellent help, thanks. If the ar-2412 had the look and form factor of the Ab-168, it would be an easier decision. But maybe this will come down to “pay more once, but only cry once.” Or I purchase sequentially, as I get more experience and work through the band politics.

Barryjam
    Participant

Thanks, JohnK. That is how I’m leaning now.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

To clarify why you can’t substitute inputs for outputs or vice versa, think of the digital stage box not as a “snake” but as “putting the back of the console into a rack on the stage”.

Of course you can still use conventional “snakes” or multicore systems with digital stage boxes. You could have an AR2412 side stage, connected to (3 X) 8 in 4 out snakes going to upstage left, upstage right and downstage centre, for example.

Chris

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.