Change order of Eq and Compress

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Change order of Eq and Compress

This topic contains 107 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

at least on dlive you can

Hmm, do you know the reason why this is only possible for the show and not for the scene? Is this done by reconfiguration similar to the mone-stereo channel thing on the FPGA?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mfk0815

You cant train the speakers. They are what they are. Some are ours, but some of the worst were special guests.
    AGC and UPwards compression would fix the problem.

Sidechain was created to cause confusion in one poor article that tried to explain things.
    It is useful for ducking type applications not the problem that NY/UPwards compression addresses.
    I would have to check on downwards expander. Not sure what they does.

Choosing would be nice but the cost would limit that to the very high end units.
    Qu is very good but not where choice like that makes sense to include.

I would be happy if we could choose AGC and AH gave us an upwards compressor ap.
    The newer compression aps let you dial the amount of NY style compression using only one channel to achieve it.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Hmm, do you know the reason why this is only possible for the show and not for the scene?

you can rearrange the order by touching setup in processing view and changing channel options at any time

and I don’t know why it is not saved in scenes
    but it should not affect the XCVI since it needs no confirmation

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

But UPwards compression is the type we need for the problem we have.

WOW….you have given up on that yet! You seem to have forgotten EVERYONE who told that would not fix your problem when you first posted that a year or so ago.

Let me see………In running live sound when packing up at the end of night I have
    never thought if only I have had an upwards compressor the event would have been successful.

Maybe the system deployment and operators are your issue….we all told the first time this topic came up as well.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On QU series I definitely don’t think that kind of flexibility is helpful for the target users – that’s why you can’t remap faders to other channels etc.

Actually if your using a stage box as the input source you can patch those inputs to any fader position, as well as the outputs can be patched to any mix source.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I ignore nonsense no matter how many times people tell me.

I know what will solve our problem. I understand compression and AGC.
    I have done audio for over 50 years even if aimed more at studio environment, and not at the level you and some others have live. But I do know what the problem is. And I do know what the cure could be.

Unless I wasted ten years at the uni , counting my graduate work, then I am not changing my belief on anything without proof.
    I know it will work for us. Some of you people here may say it won’t. But nobody has anything to back up their claims except their egos.

Sound deployment and operators have no control over the performers.
    They can help a little with faders but they can not fix the problem fully nor cleanly.
    And there is the risk of feedback if they raise the low speakers up enough and then they start yelling.

Are all of our volounteers top rate A1s? Of course not. But they are solid A1s and A2s.
    They make mistakes but that is not the cause of the excessive DR the orators have.

The biggest problem I see is they get distracted by the show and miss a slide change in time to sync with the music/words.
    But they are neither the cause nor the cure for the DR problems.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I know what will solve our problem. I understand compression and AGC.
    I have done audio for over 50 years even if aimed more at studio environment, and not at the level you and some others have live. But I do know what the problem is. And I do know what the cure could be.

There is huge difference in what you can get away with in the studio that will not work in live sound.

100% of the people who responded when you first posted this all said it will not fix your problem, and there were a lot of people who responded!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Only one I recall is you.

I do not say it solves all our problems. But AGC & Upwards compression would definitely solve our biggest problem.
    Well other than operator screwups. And that is not my concern, nor would I try to fix those myself.

Nobody ever gave me a reason why it would not work.
    I get assertions from some folks who apparently think they know more than I do.

We are a middling sized church and do not host the type of events as you may be used to.
    Except for being live with no retakes we are not much different than recording in a studio.

You could really think of us as a large studio and not be wrong.
    In fact we do record it live every Sunday. I have even tweaked such recordings in a DAW to make them better.

Still waiting for someone to give me facts or evidence, not opinions, as to why AGC & UPwards compression would not fix our DR problems.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Only one I recall is you.

You must have a very short memory, go back and re-read all the post in that original thread!

At one point you had mentioned turning the mic level caused feedback, why would think have something automatically increase the level would not do the same thing. In a studio
    ok that could in a live sound system not so much.

Speaking of the sound system that sounds like it has issues of it’s own (based on various things you said at times) in addition to the operators you have never ever (even though it was asked many times) told us what the main system consisted of, how it was configured or posted a picture or two of it.

Just saying some good solid system set up may take care of some of your problems.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

first of all I have to say sorry to all who are not directly involved in what is coming now…

@williamadams

I ignore nonsense no matter how many times people tell me.

you ignore anything… but you comment on everything and producing some nonsense as well
    you were not able to read the headings or the posts in many cases or ignored everything written in threads to get your personal thing going…

and with that statement I’m not telling you that I’m free of mistakes

that’s exactly what is nobody believe you anymore, to much unqualified comments

Are all of our volounteers top rate A1s? Of course not. But they are solid A1s and A2s.

nobody outside your small universe is knowing what you are talking about
    Did you ever think about other countries or culture?

ok
    so back to your initial problem with to dynamic speakers…
    no technical solution will ever come over your problem in total
    this is a human and mental problem of the speakers in the first place

But AGC & Upwards compression would definitely solve our biggest problem.

I repeat… no it will not

automatic gain control will even all signals even the very low signals and in many cases this leads to feedback in most live environments
    to get a save operating range you have to restrict the level changes and that leads to results that will not compensate very dynamic speech

upward compression will raise your ambience noise floor and will introduce feedback very quickly

btw… wich device would you suggest for upward compression?
    and wich for AGC?

Still waiting for someone to give me facts or evidence, not opinions, as to why AGC & UPwards compression would not fix our DR problems.

YOU IGNORED ALL THE FACTS ALREADY

you will not find a technical solution in the QU series or in any other console in this price range
    I can provide you a solution for your problems but this has nothing to do with free advice’s in A&H support forum
    it will cost money

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

first of all I have to say sorry to all who are not directly involved in what is coming now…

In case anyone is wondering, for what it’s worth that thread got a little heated and some of the post have had sections deleted or the entire post deleted.

Here it is!!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Unfortunately our AMM is being used already. Unless there is a way to use it differently in other situations unlike some other FX.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

No point in trying to convince you of anything.

You have not shown me any facts that are true which would change my mind.
    Moving a mike into a standing wave is far different than what I suggest doing for lowering DR.

Upwards compression can NOT cause feedback!
    You do not understand either feedback or upward compression. Maybe both.

I agree that there may not be an answer with the Qu.
    Unless I can get them to use a couple of more channels and do it correctly with what Qu does provide.

You can have the last wordS.
    There is no point for me to keep trying to have a sensible discussion with you.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Upwards compression can NOT cause feedback!

If the system is already unstable and from your various post I get the feeling it is, then yes it can.

Unless I can get them to use a couple of more channels and do it correctly with what Qu does provide.

What do you mean by that?

Also explain to me what you think the AMM does and how.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

You do not understand what upwards compression does and why it cannot cause feedback.
    Regular compression with gain added back can cause problems.
    Raising low levels while pushing high levels down can not.

AMM is auto mike mixing for use with a number of mikes typically in a meeting where various people will talk randomly.
    We use it for multiple singers up front and the choir for when not all are always singing at the same time..

I have not studied AMM in detail yet to know how it works.
    I have studied upwards compression.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.