Cat5 Recomendations

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Cat5 Recomendations

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Hinkens Joe Hinkens 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

I’ve got my GLD sitting on top of our rack which houses our AR2412. I connect the two with a short Cat5 cable which works out fine since we mix from the stage most of the time. We have some upcoming gigs where I’ve lined up a sound man to run the mix from FOH. I have a 200′ cat5 on a reel with ethercon connections which works fine. The issue I’d like get some suggestions on is how to handle a second cat5 cable which connects from the Dante card in the GLD80 to our Macbook Pro which runs our Superior Drummer software for our e-Drums. I thought I could add another 200′ cat5 cable but then I thought it might be worth putting a network switch at each end. Not sure if that’s viable or even worth the hassle. Would just like to know what would be the best way to go.
    Here’s a pic of the back of our rig.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Back of Rack

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Joe,

A second cable is the quick answer.

dSNAKE is a Layer 2 protocol, it doesn’t like sharing a switch with third party traffic. You would need to create a dedicated VLAN in a managed switch, however managed / smart switches use a number of Layer 3 protocols which might conflict with dSNAKE. So unless you are willing to spend time troubleshooting and check for errors, I’d recommend a second cable.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

+1 on separate cable. Keep it simple and separate.

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

Another benefit is you now have a redundant line if you lose your first one, though you may lose your drum feed.

Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

Thanks guys. The second cable isn’t that big of a deal, so I’ll run with that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.