can't hear compressor on aux

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting can't hear compressor on aux

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Showtime Showtime 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of torstendrums
    torstendrums
    Participant

hi there,
    i’m wondering why i can’t hear the compressor working on my aux for inear.

Situation:
    I’m using s SQ6 board with a DX168 digital stagebox. my AUX 1 is routed as an stereo AUX to output 1-2 of my DX168.
    Everything works perfect but when i activate the compressor on any channel (e.g. on CH1 = BASSDRUM), i can’t hear any compressor working in my inears. EQ and gate no problem but i can’t get the compressor working πŸ™
    All AUX are PRE.

Cab i change the FX chain somewhere or whatever? I can’t find any solution for two days now.

HOPE anyone could help ?
    Thanks to all of you and talk soon,
    Torsten

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I think each AUX takes its signal from various points that you can elect on an Aux by Aux basis. It could be that your AUX 1 is getting it’s signal post EQ but pre-compressor. I’m away from the mixer so don’t remember how to get to those choices.

Just to create a little artistic discussion here, there are many who do not want “compressors” in monitors, including IEMs, especially for vocals, as it impacts how an artist sings or plays in a disruptive fashion. What others DO have in AUXs going to IEMs is Brick Wall limiting that is setup just to prevent ear damaging incidents, so the limiter would only be activated with a high threshold but highest ratio.

Profile photo of torstendrums
    torstendrums
    Participant

Thank you Barryjam!
    I will try to find this function.
    Itβ€˜s nearly impossible to get an answer from A&H official support πŸ™ Tried it two times…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @torstenbugiel ,

We’re here! Our official support is through support.allen-heath.com, so presuming you used this, please pm me the email address you used and I’ll check to see what happened to your messages.

With regards to your original question, @barryjam is correct, and this is covered in the reference guide on page 35 (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_3_0.pdf#page=35).

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I should be clearer that I would think the Brick Wall Limiter would be on the Entire Aux mix that feeds the IEM, not the individual channels that make up that mix.

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Is there a way to get compressors going into Aux sends?

I’ve read the manual and see post pre, insert, EQ, etc.. but there’s no option for Post Comp.

I understand this isn’t common for monitor mixes, but I have a client (mon engineer) specifically asking for this in a rehearsal right now while mixing IEM’s and cannot figure out a workaround for him.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @ianhind,

Absolutely! There are 4 tap-off points to feed auxes, then as mentioned (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf#page=40) “Each source point is presented in order, and is affected by all preceding processing that is switched in.”.

So the ‘Post Delay’ option includes all input channel processing.

It’s possibly easier to see here (https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/sq-signal-path).
    Note that the default signal path is shown with solid lines and the other options are shown with dashed lines.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

There are 2 ways to get compression on an aux output.

The first one is to set the channel source in the routing screen of the aux to post delay

The second one to activate the aux channel compressor.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.