Can you "blow" a channel on the QU 16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Can you "blow" a channel on the QU 16

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sonic
    sonic
    Participant

Hi, I think my bass player may have broke my desk – he normally connects from his bass amp via line out to the desk no problem, however, last night something went wrong with his amp, his channel clipped like mad so pulled muted him immediately and pulled his connection out. Checked this morning with a mic and the channel is really noisy sounds like the pre-amp is not working properly all the other channels are fine – any ideas on a fix???

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

There is an analogue I out stage, so that could easily get damaged.

If you have a stagebox then you can confirm that it is the input element…

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

most likely, the bass player did not use the line out but inadvertantly connected to the speaker output.

These days most professional bass amps do not use 1/4″ inch outputs for speaker cabinets, they use a Neutrik Speakon connection instead of the old school 1/4 inch connections, this prevents things like this from happening.

If that’s what he did, your mixer is definitely in need of repair. If all of your other channels are ok, you are lucky it didn’t wipe out the power supply and then other components in other innocent channels.
    🙁

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

And XLR for line out (no apple, I did not mean lunch me out)

Profile photo of sonic
    sonic
    Participant

Thanks for the replies folks, guess it has to go off for repairs then:(. From now on I am going to mic his bass cab, not let him plug anything in LOL

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or make sure You do the plugging in, or use a sacrificial DI box

Profile photo of sonic
    sonic
    Participant

Absolutley,my own stupid fault for not checking things, the lead guitarist uses a DI box and the rhythm guitarist prefers to hang an sm57 in front of his cab so they are fine.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

I would still want to take DI from the Bass…. Just NEVER let someone you dont trust with your gear plug things in…

Profile photo of sonic
    sonic
    Participant

Trust me – it will not happen again – lesson well and truly learned!!!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve just had a new one on me on this line…

An amount of kit is left set up at church, including a jack cable plugged into a DI/modeller

Someone, and we don’t know who, had clearly seen the unplugged cable end and connected it to the nearest socket – the parallel connected jack socket on the nearest foldback wedge…

Nearest – i.e. with muchos guitar signal fed back into it.

I’m presuming the fact that there were two speakers plugged in to draw the current, and that the DI input is high impedance, is what saved the DI (and Stagebox) from serious damage.

There will be words going out “If you don’t know what you’re doing – just leave it!”

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

+1 for Speakon on any speaker connections… 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.