can phantom be enabled in ar2412 for ch17-22

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions can phantom be enabled in ar2412 for ch17-22

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

planning on an ar2412 for the qu-16, If i wish to put drum overheads on channel 17 and 18 with condenser mics, can the phantom power be enabled to the ar2412? This would save a pair of channels on 1-16 surface.

Thanks,
    G Lee

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Phanton on AR2412 ST2 2 & 3. Yes you can phantom the supply there. Now that brings in an interesting scenario into my thoughts. I have racks of mic or XLR (Y)joiners and so experimented joining the ST1 2 & 3 inputs basically to make a 19 mono channel desk.
    However I did not try the joining or Y connecting with Phantom “on” with a single mic.
    I wont know until later, I need check this with a meter as one woudnt want 2 Phantom supplies joining!?

Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

So does the 48V button appear on the stereo channels on the touchscreen? I understand phantom will ultimately come from the stage box on all channels but currently the 48V button dissappears on the stereo channels. Does software rocognize the ar2412 and the button appears?

Thanks,
    G

Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

I just got a response from A&H sales:

Hi Gary,

Phantom power is indeed available on channels 17/18. Keep in mind, however, that these 2 channels are permanently “ganged” to 1 fader as a stereo channel, so all adjustments, including gain control, will affect both microphones, and they will be permanently hard-panned full left and full right.

Cheers,

Ryan Landry

ams.support

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi, Thanks for that. So if I was wanting to use a single condenser mic and Y connect the inputs at the AR2412 so the ST1/2/3 are like single mono channels , how can I do this? Because they are hard wired in stereo pairs.
    Thanks

davyd

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Does 48v show up on St 1,2,3 when an AR2412 is plugged in? I don’t have a box here at the moment but my QU16 by itself does not give the option for phantom by itself.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Here is screen shot.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello. Yes there is definitely phantom on ST 1 2 &3 via the dSnake.
    Im not sure if this is switched and turned on at the AR2412 or… surely yes it must be. Like the XT32 (cough) has a red led indicator at their stage box

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

oops too large a file. here is a shot the the screen.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Ok. There are no phantom switches or indicators on the 2412.
    As I showed that button does not appear if box is not connected. I will hook up one and check.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi. All you have to do is switch the dSnake on at the desk, and the phantom switch appears. You don’t need to connect the stage box. Interestingly, i have learn’t this desk quite well now and I think maybe you could run an analogue multi as well as a dSnake, hence a smaller support act with their own desk settings. Just need to switch the whole desk between local and dSnake and of course recall the digital settings. What a powerful little desk.
    Anyhow thanks. I look forward to new updates

davyd

Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

Gave the Y cable some thought to get 48V to fake a mono channel to stereo… It should work but once you think about the two pull up resistors to get 48V to the mic, You would be putting them in parallel thus decreasing the impedance in half possibly applying too much current to the mic??? may or may not damage the mic but will def cause impedance issues with the 48V supply. What separates the 48V DC to the first gain stage is some small caps like .1 to do DC filtering.

FIX: take you standard XLR Y cable and add two .1 caps to the + and – pins 2 and 3 in series (inline) to one of the splits going to the stage box. This will prevent the two 48V DC from being connected. Since 48V will be applied to both ins- ch 17 and 18 it wouldnt matter which XLR end with the dc blocking caps gets plugged in to 17 or 18.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I see now about setting ST1-3 to DSnake turns on phantom. I had not see that before. I think AH just needs to look into putting a mono button to combine those internally and you just use one socket or have a blend knob like wide to narrow or mono. Something like that. Assuming that could be done in firmware.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

G Lee, I believe you may be being overly cautious about the phantom power thing.

I’d not want to put a simple split on a mic to two separate desks with phantom power (though in the real world, even this is not usually a problem). But for the same desk – or in this case stage box – I’m sure a normal split lead with phantom will be fine as, it’s all from the the same power supply.

If a mic is connected to two inputs, all the voltages will match exactly, then each one needs to only supply half the current required. That’s not going to damage anything.

Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

Schematic wise 48V goes to + and – legs through two pull up resistors. This is on each channel individually so 48V is not directly connected at each mic in but through these resistors. connecting two ins would parellel those thus decreasing the values in half. As i stated it should be ok but you would be permitting double the current to be able to be drawn from the mic. The block diagarm for the desk actually shows them if ya need a visual. I’ll wait for someone else to do with a direct Y cable. For now I’ll just make one cable up with caps to test.

G

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.