Can I turn outputs 1 & 2 into a stereo pair?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Can I turn outputs 1 & 2 into a stereo pair?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I’m renting a QU-16 and we use in-ears. I need four stereo outputs plus the main outputs. Am I able to turn two of the mono outputs into stereo? I have been watching videos and checking the manual online but I haven’t seen anything in that. Sorry if this has been asked and answered tons of times. Thanks!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It’s a little finicky and takes time, but if you use Mixes 1/2, I think you can create a faux stereo mix and have single fader control by assigning both Mixes to a DCA.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

I’m going to have to get to know the board better to get what you mean.

The band has several stereo line inputs that will be fed in to the board. I guess one way would be to feed all the Left signals into channel one and sll the right into channel two and toggle between them to get the mix right…. Not sure about how to do this with DCA. I need to read up on the groups features.

Dick Rees
    Participant

How about giving an input list and the content required for the simplest IEM mix? It’s a little hard to help if we don’t know exactly what you have channel-wise and what you want to do with it.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

The input list isn’t that important in this case (I would write it all out, but I don’t see how it will help). Bottom line is I’m trying to figure out how to feed four independent stereo in-ears monitors from this board plus the FOH. Three of them are already there with the 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 stereo outputs, but that fourth I have to figure out. I have the QU-16, btw, which doesn’t seem to offer the DCA or matrix mixer outputs of the larger boards. It looks from reading the manual like I could set the other stereo pair up on 1-2 and the route that to the Alt Out as a master fader. It still would be time consuming to set up the stereo field correctly for the individual tracks, but I guess it’s possible.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

You can’t link the mono outputs to a stereo – sorry!
    Can you run the FoH Mono? If so you could use MIX1 as FoH and Main Mix for the 4th Stereo inEar!

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Can I copy setting from out 5-6 to something like out 3-4? Then assign 3-4 to the Alt Out and tweak as needed that way? I definitely want to keep the stereo FOH option even if we only use it for some shows.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Yeah you can copy your MIX Settings to another mono mix, but it’s not made for live situation! Better use it mono! The Qu-16 isn’t made for more than 3 stereo mixes! In qu-24 you could hse group-outs! Unfortunately not possible with Qu-16

Dick Rees
    Participant

A DCA is a control group only without any audio content. It simply allows you to control two or more channels with one fader, thus giving you a faux stereo group.

There is no difference between using the physical outputs of Mixes 1/2 and Alt Out. You would be assigning 1/2as your source for the Alt Out, but the only difference is the type of connector. The Alt Out has no physical control other than that of the source(s) assigned to them. The only way to get both channels (Mix 1/2) to be controlled by one fader is to use a DCA control group.

You could also try the suggested “mains as 4th stereo mix” trick.

Good luck.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying that about there not really being a different between using 1/2 and alt out. Makes sense.

Are you talking about assigning a master level control with the DCA? That’s not super important because we can control that on the in-ear. The main thing I’m needing to have be stereo is three stereo line ins that are going in to the board. So I’m thinking with those I can just send the Left signal from those channels into Out 1 and the Right signal from those into 2. I guess all the miced up stuff will just be in mono for that user. It’d be good to be able to get some panning separation for the vocals. I can probably do that by sending different amounts of the signal to each side.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes, that’s the killer – you need to manually control the panning by level control on each ‘side’ of the mix.

It’s possible, but really fiddly. Do they really *need* stereo IEMs?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.