Can I independently control the volume of an output?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Can I independently control the volume of an output?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft Dave Meadowcroft 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

I’ll explain.

L/R Mix routes to Outputs 1 & 2 on the dSnake. This feeds a DSP which sends all audio to two subs and 3 overhead mains.

We are adding 4 PA speakers to the dSnake. These 4 speakers will be outdoors. One pair will be close to the stage, another pair will be out wider and a bit further back. We intend to remotely control the console for the outdoor event, feeding everything with a single Ethernet cable through the sLink (dSnake) port.

As such, I have routed Aux Mix 1 outputs to 3 & 4 on the dSnake.

Now, I could also route Aux Mix 1 to outputs 5 & 6 and then all 4 outdoor speakers would be on a single mix.

Question: If I wanted to independently control the output of each pair of PA speakers (3&4) and (5&6) but still be sending the same Aux Mix 1 to each…is that possible, or does each routed output or output pair need to either share the same mix or be independently controlled?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I assume these four outdoor speakers need to be on a separte/different mix from what the main mix is as to why your using an aux mix to feed them.
    If you use two matrix mixes that will give you independent EQ, level, delay for the stage pair and for the outer pair of speakers. Just bring up Aux 1 in each matrix input.

If you want the outdoor speakers to be an extension of the main mix just bring up the main mix in each matrix instead.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

There is no trim control for output sockets unfortunately so to have independent level control requires separate mixes.

I’m with Mike and would suggest using matrixes instead of Auxes as this is exactly what they’re designed for. If you don’t require different instruments being fed to different areas then simply send LR only to each matrix. They then have their own level controls.
    You can add delay (and other processing if needed) to ensure sound from various speakers arrives with the audience at the same time. Also, you can set pre or post fade so changing the levels in the room doesn’t/does affect the levels outside.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.