Can a laptop be connected directly to SQ5 to use plugin such as Waves

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Can a laptop be connected directly to SQ5 to use plugin such as Waves

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sebastien Sebastien 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

Hi, I am new to digital mixing and would love to use Waves or other brand plugins for live mixing. Is there a direct (and cheap) pathway to get my laptop working as an FX rack? I see the expensive Waves card and Soundgrid server option.

Thanks for any guidance.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

yes it is possible, but not with low latency, that’s why the cards exists…

Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

Steffen, Using a card can it then be connected direct or does it still need the Soundgrid server, or is that just something specific to Waves plugins?

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

In the research I’ve done, i’m trying to do the same thing, to accomplish this for live sound without the use of a DAW, you would need a Waves card and the Waves Multirack app. You would achieve the least amount of latency if your computer was purely dedicated to that purpose. I’m definitely open to other suggestions or ideas also.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You need a Soundgrid server to run Waves plugin in low latency. You can do it without the server, but your latency will go up.

You don’t need it only to record to a DAW, though.

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

Not sold on the server if your computer is dedicated only to sound. I think your latency will go up if you are running other processes. The impact server is an i3 with 4gb ram. I would be running i7 with 16gb. Can’t see a huge difference, without having to pay another $500.

Profile photo of jmole
    jmole
    Participant

check out the USB latency post, where I’ve been doing some extensive testing of the USB interface on the SQ. Unless you have a Dante card, IMO, the SQ is totally unsuited to use with computer-based effects processing right now.

For Waves stuff, that means using Waves Native /w Dante, or using Soundgrid servers with the SQ Waves card.

Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

Curious about whether the Waves card allows plugins to be viewed on the desk or only on the laptop. Another question is that Waves Native literature says device is connected by ASIO. Is ASIO available on through the network, or only through USB?

Thanks for helping sort this out

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

My interpretation of what I read was, to mitigate latency, you would need the Waves or Dante card which are connected via Ethernet cable. The Multirack would be used in live situations. This could be a native solution, whereas channel processing would be done on your computer. I believe you are able to run 64 racks, 8 effects/processors each rack. Latency would depend on how many other processes you’re running at that time. I do not believe you would be able to record at the same time. The racks and channels would be seen on your computer.

Profile photo of Sebastien
    Sebastien
    Participant

All the plugins will be viewed only on the computer, in native or soundgrid mode…
    The soundgrid server does only the « math » or bit crunching over eth, the host computer only the gui and plug control .
    A Gb Ethernet controller is necessary, a 10/100 mb eth is not sufficient .
    You will not be the first to try to achieve low latency without getting the soundgrid server.

Here a great comparaison between native and soundgrid mode with an X32
    dbbaudio

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

Great blog post. Answered a lot of questions. It seems the server is a must. Just makes it a more expensive proposition. Looks like I’ll be waiting to see what in the next SQ update before dropping more cash.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

check out the USB latency post, where I’ve been doing some extensive testing of the USB interface on the SQ. Unless you have a Dante card, IMO, the SQ is totally unsuited to use with computer-based effects processing right now.

this is not correct…
    it is possible to use it for time unsensitive FX like reverb and delay, carefully used insert processing in the main mix is also possible,
    but you have to keep in mind that the latency is greater than 10ms
    but sometimes this is acceptable

For Waves stuff, that means using Waves Native /w Dante, or using Soundgrid servers with the SQ Waves card.

Native waves with Dante Virtual Soundcard introduces the same latency as the USB interface,
    since the DVS is not capable of latencies lower than 5ms
    you need a dedicated Dante sound card (Yamaha or Focusrite)

one general drwaback of the Waves system is that only Wavesplugins are supported… no UAD, no Fabfilter, no other vendor

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

one general drwaback of the Waves system is that only Wavesplugins are supported… no UAD, no Fabfilter, no other vendor

Not all Waves plugins can be used on a soundgrid server. https://www.waves.com/plugins/soundgrid#sort:path~type~order=.default-order~number~asc|views:view=grid-view|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=20

Not all 3rd party plugins are unusable on soundgrid servers: https://www.waves.com/support/soundgrid-compatible-third-party-plugins

Profile photo of KenM
    KenM
    Participant

It is too bad that A&H does not open its Deep Processing to third parties. They could monetize it by being the portal and taking a percent just like Apple does for apps. They would probably make more money because people would buy a lot more plugins.

As it is I will probably not be buying their wave or any expensive cards of theirs, or a Waves sever. I need to be portable and internal no latency plugins are the best solution for me. I am willing to pay a premium to get that. I hope A&H is listening. I will post this to the features area as well.

Profile photo of Sebastien
    Sebastien
    Participant

It is too bad that A&H does not open its Deep Processing to third parties. They could monetize it by being the portal and taking a percent just like Apple does for apps. They would probably make more money because people would buy a lot more plugins.

Even if they decide tomorrow to open their « deep processing » architecture to third party plugins, waves or other won’t work on it as it require specific programming extertise, third party teams must work together with a&h to test and debug , with different configurations … this is not an easy task !

Waves work on x86 architecture (win/macos) and note that they no more support TDM arch since v9.6 …
    here the SQ is more like ARM I guess, but surely not an x86

You think they will sell more plugins (third party here) but A&H provide and devellop their own (and they’re goog for the job)
    And so they are more efficient to debug them… and for the really few one who really want waves, they offer the ability to add a soundgrid waves card !!!
    And only for half the price if you were on a GLD 😉
    But yeah, more hassle, less portable
    You have the choice ;p

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.