Cakewalk to PC – MIDI controller issues

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Cakewalk to PC – MIDI controller issues

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mikey B Mikey B 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

I’ve been using the QU-32 as my control surface in my studio for several years, I recently upgraded to the latest version of Cakewalk (free now, for the record).

I was able to easily use the “learn” function to assign all of the faders and mute/select/PAFL buttons on the Custom Layer to work with the channel strips in Cakewalk. I also used this “learn” function to set all of the EQ knobs in the QU Master Strip for each channel. (i.e.- the LF Gain knob on the console controlled the LF Gain for the selected channel in Cakewalk)… THIS WAS GREAT!! and a function that I have not had before (the EQ for each was adjusted equally by using the console knobs)….

Unfortunately, when I saved this Template in Cakewalk and came back to use it again, the EQ assignments did not seem to have saved…. the faders and buttons work fine and are still linked properly, but the EQ knobs and HPF dont….

Any ideas?….. I’m about to pull my hair out…. all that work assigning 13 knobs (EQ) TIMES 32 CHANNELS IS GONE!!!!

I’m assuming its an issue with Cakewalk as opposed to the console, but hoping someone has a clue (maybe the mixer resets the MIDI config each time it fires up? can’t imagine why it would do that)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

I have contacted Cakewalk about this issue. Having had to write a more detailed description, I thought I would post it here as well….. much the same, just some clarity…

Thanks

Sorry if this is a duplicate…. not sure who I should be contacting here….

I’ve been using the Allen and Heath QU-32 as my MIDI control surface in my studio for several years (32 fader strips, one super strip for EQ etc), I recently decided to try the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab. The platform seems very intuitive to me (being familiar with older versions) and overall it seems quite useable. I haven’t put it to the true test yet, in my studio, as I have not gotten past the issue explained below.

On the latest Bandlab edition of Cakewalk, I was able to easily use the “learn” function (right click on parameter you wish to control- remote control- move suface control-Learn-ok) to assign all of the faders and mute/select/PAFL buttons on the Custom Layer of my console to work with the channel strips in Cakewalk. No ACT Controller/Surface neccesay. Using the assignable controls in the ProChannl strip in Cakewalk, I also used this “learn” function to set all of the EQ knobs in the QU-32 Super Strip section for each channel. (i.e.- the LF Gain knob selected on the console controlled the LF Gain for the related track in Cakewalk)… THIS WAS GREAT!! and a function that I have not had before (the EQ for each was adjusted equally by using the console knobs!!!)….

Unfortunately, when I saved this Template in Cakewalk and came back to use it again, the EQ assignments did not seem to have saved…. the faders and buttons on the individual console channels work fine and are still linked properly, but the EQ knobs and HPF don’t work from the console at all…. I have tried many options (all of the different controller/surface options, a couple third party ideas, etc) and I have scoured forums. I believe this is a software issue, as I have tried assigning the QU-32 faders, which do save properly as fader controls, to be EQ controls instead… They work just as well, but still dont save…

To be clear, Cakewalk will properly learn the functions in the ProChannel EQ section (channel by channel), but will NOT recall them when the project or template is pulled back up…. if this function is fixed I think it would add a lot of value to busy engineers, like myself, who would like to use a MIDI controller to run those functions *this is a lot more common these days with modern digital consoles having super strips capable of sending unique MIDI for each channel selected.

I’m assuming its an issue with Cakewalk as opposed to the console, because it learns it fine, but then forgets it when I close the session or save it as a template.

The QU-32 super strip has 17 rotars and 4 buttons that can be assigned independantly to 32 faders and the QU-32 will mimic the DAW precisely… x 32 thats over 400 controls that can be assigned, but get forgotten as soon as you save…

Thanks in advance for any help…. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance in getting this figured out…. Barring this issue, I am liking it so far.

Profile photo of george
    george
    Participant

hi mikey,

just like you i’ve downloaded cakewalk by bandlab but my mixer is QU 24 SERIES, my problem is when i connect there is a message like this;
    “THERE ARE NO AUDIO DEVICES FOR THE CURRENT DRIVER MODE ON YOUR SYSTEM. PLEASE GO TO EDIT/PREFERENCES/AUDIO/PLAYBACK AND RECORDING AND CHOOSE A DIFFERENT DRIVER MODEL.

can you please help me with this? what do i need to do?

thanks

george

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Go exactly where they are telling you and then choose the ASIO driver in the <Driver Mode> section. Cakewalk will then recognize the QU’s input.

I have someone working on the problem I noted above, which, if it works, will make this a very good controller for Cakewalk.

See this link for ongoing details.

https://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-to-Allen-Heath-QU32-MIDI-mapping-memory-issue-m3759741.aspx#3759741

Profile photo of george
    george
    Participant

hi mikey,

thanks for the help

george

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

No problem, keep an eye peeled for the issues I am trying to work out with AZSlow…. if it comes through, this will be one of the best MIDI controllers for sonar out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.