Cable Length – dSnake or DX

Forums Forums Other A&H products Cable Length – dSnake or DX

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pfcbenjamin pfcbenjamin 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pfcbenjamin
    pfcbenjamin
    Participant

We are looking to get a stage box for an SQ series console, likely the AR2412.

At our church we have dedicated runs of shielded CAT 6 running in conduits from the sound booth to the stage. That cable run is about 120’ and begins and ends at a patchbay at both ends. From the patchbay then we plug into the appropriate gear.

In the 2412 manual it says:

Cat5e (or higher) STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) cable should be used, with a maximum cable length of 100m (330ft) between each unit. Use of passive couplers to join cables will reduce this distance.

My question is, how much does the use of passive couplers reduce the distance? I would guess we should be fine since our cables will be maybe ~1/3 the maximum distance, but figured I should check to see if anyone knows.

Thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It depends on the quality of the coupler.
    OTOH we have a AR2412 connected to an QU16 and we are using a house cat for now that is longer than 100m. It just works.

Profile photo of pfcbenjamin
    pfcbenjamin
    Participant

Thanks. We have Leviton Altas jacks which are a quality connector. Sounds like we should be good.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.