Buying a QU32 – have I got this right?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Buying a QU32 – have I got this right?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of madeofstars madeofstars 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of madeofstars
    madeofstars
    Participant

Hello
    Hope you are all well.

Like the title says I’m thinking about buying a QU32 to use in my home studio.

I just want to check that I am correct with this before I order as it’s a lot of money for me.

I have 6 synths which all have stereo quarter inch out. On the QU32 I can use 12 line inputs and configure them as line inputs and link 6x 2 pairs right?

I’ve got some stereo in/out guitar peddles I use with my synths (meris ftw!)… To bring these into the qu I send qu output pairs into my peddles and bring them back from the peddles into some spare inputs right. Then if I want to send my synth into a peddle effect I just change the output of that channel pair into which ever output goes to the peddle and bring it back in on the correct channel pair.

I guess these are basic questions and I think I have it correct I just want to double check.

Thanks

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi!

This all sounds correct!

The Qu-32 has dedicated line inputs which are suitable for devices which output balanced line level signals.

You can link two mono channels (odd-even pairs) so that they act as a stereo channel.

These can then be sent to a stereo mix bus which can be connected to your external FX. The output of the FX can then be connected to a new input channel. I should note, it’s not possible to insert outboard equipment directly onto the channel. You’ll need to use a Mix > Return set up for outboard equipment.

I hope this helps!
    Alex

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If your pedals are unbalanced in/out, you’ll need to give some thought as to how to wire these to avoid ground loops. “Special cables or isolating transformers may be needed.

But everything will work as you suggest, yes.

madeofstars
    Participant

Thanks for the replies folks.

I’ll be honest I didn’t pay any consideration to balanced / unbalanced.

Not even sure what my synths output in terms of that.

I’ll check !
    Thanks

madeofstars
    Participant

I checked and all of my gear apart from my akai MPC uses unbalanced outputs

Is this going to cause a problem markpaman

Thanks

madeofstars
    Participant

help with proper cables

Seems I can just use TR quarter inch jack cables and some one says try to keep the runs short which is fine.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Seems I can just use TR quarter inch jack cables and some one says try to keep the runs short which is fine.

Using 1/4 inch TR cables from your keys to the 1/4 inch line inputs will be fine, you could 20 foot easy.
    The line level 1/4 inch unbalanced outputs on a keyboard are a little more forgiving than the 1/4 inch output on a passive pick up guitar.
    The output impedance is lower and the signal is higher.

madeofstars
    Participant

Thanks Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.