Buss comp, LA-2A and presets!

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Buss comp, LA-2A and presets!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gregg Grey Gregg Grey 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Hello A&H.
    It would be great if you could add to SQ the following:
    1)Waves SSL G-Master Buss Compressor or similar (happy to pay)
    2)LA-2A compressor (happy to pay)
    3)Ability to switch between different types of graphic equalizers with the ability to keep the sliders’ position. In order to do an AB comparison. It would be super cool to have the same feature on compressors! Yes, I know they have many settings which are not the same, and not applicable to all comps, but having a background in IT, I can see a way of creating an algorithm for transferring settings from one compressor to the most similar setting on other compressors, based on some real-life experience of your team.
    4) presets for all add-on compressors – as many as possible, please!
    Some comments on the 4:
    I purchased all available compressors add-ons, in order to study them. Later I realized that there are no presets. Please, do not explain why. I know, that most of the people who buy those plugins know what to do with them, but not all!
    I would really appreciate some presets, in order to have a look at what settings may be applicable in different situations. I know, it is very individual, but I need it as a starting point! Probably, not only I would appreciate it.
    PS: I am a hobbyist, so please accept my apologies if the suggestions above are a bit silly:)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Acquiring a fundamental understanding of the practical effects of the three primary compression alteration settings (threshold–ratio & make up gain) is secondary only to your initial pre amp gain staging. Your ability to appropriately tailor the exact amount of dynamic range reduction needed on each channel Is somewhat akin to “ned in the firsT reader” for any mix. To assume there is a preset that will universally fit these needs is beyond wrong: it’s dumber than a box of rocks. The five comp package A&H has made available for the SQ line offers a wonderful choice of plug-ins that will fit about any particular need. These are wonderful tools that you need to learn how to use rather than asking for an impossible one button solution!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

“To assume there is a preset that will universally fit these needs is beyond wrong: it’s dumber than a box of rocks. The five comp package A&H has made available for the SQ line offers a wonderful choice of plug-ins that will fit about any particular need. These are wonderful tools that you need to learn how to use rather than asking for an impossible one button solution!”

Please let me.. kind of… dismiss this comment, because of the following reasons:
    1)I was not asking for a one-button solution
    2)Waves, Steinberg (Cubase), and lots of other compressors do have plenty of presets, and their creators are not idiots… I think so.
    3)Looks like you didn’t get the point of my request, could be a pro vs hobbyist thing – don’t worry about that πŸ˜‰

Thanks anyway πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I have a Digigrid/Waves LV1 equipped project studio with a Studio one DAW. Over the past 15 years of dealing with DAW plug ins, including the great ones from Waves, I use all of the comps mentioned by the OP however the pre set values do not hit the precise, compression control that my mixes require: they are a starting point for novices, and are not intended to be universal fits. For this reason I never use the subject comp presets that are available. I can fully well understand the fact that some of us are not inclined to be happy reading a manual and following time worn procedures and practices. This is precisely why I-Pads and I-Phone type devices are the #1 recording gear sold today. Truth be told they generally deliver better content than recordings made with miss managed, much more sophisticated gear. It is not my intention to hurt anyones feelings in any of my responses to posts in these threads. However it is important to establish a clear understanding of the fundamental principals involved with the work we do: be it as a hobbyist or for professional purposes. The SQ is sonically a world class professional processing desk with a very small footprint. The only element of the offering that is entry level is it’s price point: it is pretty much pro gear from the get go: the 36 bus architecture is limited to the essential tools needed to achieve a high end SR mix. The fact they chose to ignore the novice presets speaks volumes.
    Hugh

Profile photo of GutsyStudio D&D
    GutsyStudio D&D
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

@Hugh

Hi Hugh,
    its me again — Tobias. Remember last time we had a talk and I tried to explain, what “not-helpful”, “not-nice” and “arrogant” is? Reading your texts here makes me feel, you have not understood — not even trying.

Lets start with something simple: Maybe as a rule of thumb, if you don’t have something helpful to say, you just try to remain silent? That would also prevent you from getting entangle yourself in contradiction.

And maybe this time you also think about apologizing for your harsh words in the first post!! That would also be a good starter!

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Tobias apparently has assumed the role of official social propriety gate keeper of this forum. Perhaps Tobias will define the specific factual contradiction I have committed in this thread with either of my posts. I stand ready and willing to accept opinion changing facts when and if they are officially presented, however I will continue to laud the design decisions A&H has made in bringing the SQ line to market and will defend it’s priorities regardless of whether or not it puts the self ordained gate keeper’s underwear in a wad.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Hugh,
    to be clear: you are not defending anything here… you can’t because you don’t know the type of decision behind the product as long as you are not having internal insight in documents we others dont have. You are just a user, not an advocate of Allen and Heath (which they dont need in this forum) (or am I mistaken here??)

And to be clear again: the festure suggested here was about som presets — not nothing design changing!!

More facts were presented in the other thread… there I gave some examples of your stories, which in part you have repeated here… what more evidence you need than this thread???

And again: This forum is called “feature suggestions”. User (as you are one) shall bring up suggestions. Users (as you are one) are allowed to give opinions for other’s suggestions — but not jugde them, as you are always doing. And just to be sure, calling an idea “dumber than a box of rocks” is judging.

Especially in this case, you called the given idea “it’s dumber than a box of rocks”. That is, as I said, not nice, not helpful and in context (read your message again: Context is: you are the best mixing ingenieer in the world and all people which are not as good as your are “dumber than a box of rocks”. If you don’t meant that: I think it would be nice to read words like “I” or “am” or “sorry” from you. And not only in this case!

To analyze what you said even harder: Nemydom said he knows that a preset is only a starting point — so why you yell at him that he “assumes” a preset to be universal?? He said clearly, he does not…

And to be honest, it is not what you say — its how you say it. That is why I kindly asked more than once to be nice and helpful. Maybe what you say is cool, but we dont know because we dont get the content you maybe have between your harsh words.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Thanks, Tobias, appreciate your support πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Gregg Grey
    Gregg Grey
    Participant

+1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.