"Bumping" channels

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions "Bumping" channels

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kiro Kiro 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Q: Imagine a scenario where you’ve built your input channels according to an input list from a rider. You realize day of show that instead of only 2 guitar channels they need one additional guitar channel and the operator naturally wants it to fall on the desk next to the other two.

I realize I can go to the end of the input list, add the guitar channel, drag and drop it next to the others I made in director the day before, however the operator also is requesting that the input patch to the stage box stays 1:1 (against adding the additional guitar at the end of the patch even if I can make it visually be next to the others on the desk).

Now imagine a crew that wants to add a handful of new changes to the show you pre-built. Once you add their additional channels at the end of the patch, drag and drop those where they want them physically on the desk, and re-patch the I/O so it’s 1:1 to their updated patch, your Slink patch looks crazy visually! Also, channel “numbers” in the scribble strip are misleading (even though I know you can see the I/O channel port there!)

Basically, is there a way to bump around input channels, so that the I/O matches up with the input list? Like drag and drop in the I/O section to stay 1:1 to patch

Thanks! I realize it’s nutty

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Imagine there are still people out there they use strategies established 25 years ago to avoid patch confusion… no matter which desk is used… just using their brain

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

HAH!

I just like that clean patch hatch look, it sounds better that way :/

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It just sounds straight… sometimes it’s boring that way… 😉

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Patrick-Giles Maillot created a program for the X32 that did exactly this (called the X32CustomLayer). It would move channels around by copying and pasting them into whatever order you specified. I didn’t need to use it very often, but it was a really useful tool when you did need it.

I have no idea if the Avantis exposes their control protocol enough for someone to create a similar program for the Avantis.

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#h.i4tduyqh6jox

Profile photo of saylorville
    saylorville
    Participant

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Nope. Just get used to ignoring the channel numbers. I’ve committed myself to unthinking that the channel number means stagebox/input number.

Perhaps it’d be nice to have no channel numbers – after all they are just vessels for whatever input you desire. It’s often just a meaningless number

Profile photo of Scotchy
    Scotchy
    Participant

This is actually a good idea that even though is very caveman comes in handy allllll the time with various people line checking and patching who aren’t familiar with any of the material. Thanks.

Profile photo of Kiro
    Kiro
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.