Broken .wav file

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Broken .wav file

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

I have a big problem with a broke .wav file. I recorded a gig with my Qu-16 and the Qu-Drive. Someone has switched off the power of the complete stage, including my console. And my Qu Drive was still recording.

The Qu 16 says “unsupported…” and I don´t know how to open or repair the file on my Mac. Has anyone an idea how to repair it?

Thx, Martin

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant
    Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

Thank you Mark, that works fine.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m still considering a small UPS…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Bob…

If you’re going to use a UPS I would strongly recommend you go all the way and get an in-line model, one which is always running through the battery so there is ZERO switch-over time. Not a millisecond, not a microsecond…ZERO.

The added advantage to this is pure sine wave power, not a stepped approximation, so if you have to run off generator power you will be assured of stable voltage, proper frequency and clean, “computer safe” power.

I used to use run-of-the-mill office supply UPS. That was OK for hobby stuff, but for pro use (paid work, no glitches allowed) only an in-line inverter model provides the requisite reliability.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – that is better, although more costly.

Dick Rees
    Participant

And heavier…but it’ll help you keep your clients. That’s worth the price.

But FWIW, retired Tripplites coming out of server farms sell for less than ten cents on the dollar and fresh batteries run less than $100.00, so with a little shopping you can come out at a tad more than an APC bought new at OfficeMax or Staples.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

there lies the difference between a pro and a hobbyist 😉

However good the hobbyist is at the tech, or the music, there are limits to the spending power…

Dick Rees
    Participant

The point is not so much cost as it is effectiveness. What good is any piece at any price if it doesn’t do the job. Your typical “office supply” line interactive UPS has a transfer rate (switching from line current to battery) of 8-12 milli-seconds. This does not suffice to keep your recording safe.

A proper double-conversion UPS has no transfer time. Zero, zip, nada.

Shopping for something you can afford is up to you, but you have to know what to shop for and what NOT to shop for. If you want your digital stuff to work without glitches, get double-conversion, not line-interactive.

That’s all I’m saying.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

8-12mSec too slow? Just remember that any wall socked drops to zero about each 10mSec since we’re running from AC. Drops of one or two phases may occur anytime and are safely handled by any power supply. Of course an online UPS would also protect your equipment from higher transients where an interactive UPS can’t switch off fast enough.
    I’m running a rackmount APC SmartUPS (line interactive) in my stage rack and also run the FOH desk from that unit. I already did replugging the mains during rehearsal without any issues. For me that’s pretty enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.