bring back the link to AH description of the compressors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting bring back the link to AH description of the compressors

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GeddonArchon GeddonArchon 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

I found this in some magazine
    Their are four different compressor modes built into the compressor module. The first two are manual modes: Manual Peak and Manual RMS. Manual Peak responds to transients which cross the threshold and can be used in a similar fashion to a brickwall limiter when set with a high ratio and fast attack and release settings. Manual RMS responds to the average level and is more useful as a moderate channel compressor. The Manual RMS is the default compressor on each channel.

The remaining two modes have automatic attack and release characteristics. The Auto Slow Opto behaves like an optical compressor, with slow attack and release characteristics and was a favourite of ours on live vocals, enabling us to get a consistent vocal sound from our system. The final mode is the Auto Punchbag which has a faster, VCA-like, auto response – a good starting point with drums for users not overly familiar with attack and release settings who want to avoid the two manual modes.

I note that our dealer left us on auto punchbag which seems wrong for our environment in a church.

Google found a pointer to an AH article that was 404.
    Supposedly written by the AH compressor designer and explained all 4 of them in detail.

Suggestions:
    1 – Repost the article so it actually shows up not 404
    2 – Insert links in the documentation to all these articles that elaborate on the terse text that is provided in the manual.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I note that our dealer left us on auto punchbag which seems wrong for our environment in a church.

Did they put that on the main mix or just on certain input channels?

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

auto punchbag is on the input channels with mikes

LR has manual compression

did not look at pc and cd inputs to the Qu nor other outputs

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

auto punchbag is on the input channels with mikes

LR has manual compression

did not look at pc and cd inputs to the Qu nor other outputs

I assume that is on all the inputs channels?

And with that I still think you have the wrong installer / dealer!!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

all that I looked at with mikes

We are in a very small town and use the dealer that is politically easier to use
    We have used a dealer from the next ‘city’ over on occasion in the past

How do you evaluate whether the dealer is right/wrong

The techs seem quite competent.
    We still have the acoustic fixes to put in and then they are to redo the entire board setup.
    For all I know the A1 played with things after their last go round with the new mike installations to try to make things sound better.

I do hope that someone from our group asks them about using punchbag vs manual RMS, which was not on the two (three?) previous initial settings that they did in the past.

Profile photo of GeddonArchon
    GeddonArchon
    Participant

I would be interested to read this missing article if anyone finds it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.