Best laptop for QU16 recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Best laptop for QU16 recording

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Elvis Elvis 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Hi
    We’ve been using our new QU16 for live band use and it’s great. Have also used the hard disk
    recording facility with success.
    I’d like to use the QU16 with a mobile DAW to record the band and would welcome advice on the best choice of laptop use. I use Cubase.
    The manual states the QU16 will work with a Mac without the need for drivers so have been looking
    at either the new Mac Book pro 13″ Retina or a used older Mac Book (7.1) as the new Mac Book is around
    £1000.
    I’ve also experimented with my brother’s i3 Acer Windows laptop running Sonor X1 LE using the ASIO
    drivers from A&H but this does require some setting up.

Anybody using a Windows laptop/DAW with the QU16? I’m not a Mac user but if this would be the most
    trouble free and reliable DAW platform, I’d get one.
    Any help appreciated.

Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

I am using Presonus Studio One 2 Professional on an ASUS R510C Core i5 laptop with 6GB of RAM. It is a 1.8GHz machine and it runs fine for the most part. When I use my A&H QU-16 with the DAW, it seems to run flawlessly. I have only used it 4 or 5 times though, but I didn’t have any issues that I can remember. It took me about an hour to get it set the first time I used it, but I saved the setup of the DAW as a template so when I was ready to use it again, I would open the template and wouldn’t have to redefine where each input was supposed to go. That’s the cool thing about being able to save templates into your DAW and scenes into your mixer.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Dan…

I use a Macbook for a single-purpose audio production computer. I bought a factory refurbished unit from an authorized Apple seller and paid $200.00. It came with a factory warranty as well.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Running a rather old Core2Duo notebook along with Reaper for multitrack recording (and only for recording) from Qu32. I guess any PC/notebook capable of running Win7 (required for the driver) should work, and once the driver is installed (few clicks) it “just works”.
    Btw.: Reaper provides a nice routing matrix to assign any input or pair of inputs to any track easily, to handle a Qu32 a higher resolution display is very welcome…

Profile photo of Danr
    Danr
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I think I may go for an i5 Windows laptop with 8gb of RAM, possibly an Acer Aspire.
    Sounds like it should work ok with a little setting up and it’s a fair bit cheaper than a Mac.

Profile photo of deeps
    deeps
    Participant

Sorry if I’m hijacking your thread but how do you get Daw to work on windows? On the downlands page they only have Daw for mac.
    And what software you using. I use adobe auditoN for recordings

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Daw Control for Mac only translates the HUI/MackieControl protocol for the Qu so you’re able to control your DAW from the faders on the Qu and vice versa. It is not related to or required for audio recording. You do need the Asio/WDM driver to see the Qu as an audio device under Windows (since Microsoft decided to not support AudioClass 2.0 devices natively).

Profile photo of deeps
    deeps
    Participant

My thoughts exactly. but i want Daw to work on Windows 🙁 i got Albeton and i know Audition is mainly for post production but was hoping i could use Audition to control faders instead of Albeton
    Im going to do some research to see if i can install mac on a non mac laptop

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hackintosh is your search parameter…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if Audition allows sending/receiving of control information at all, at least I didn’t find anything about it. Ableton live should be customizable enough to directly communicate with the Qu midi protocol. It just will take some time to setup everything manually.

Profile photo of deeps
    deeps
    Participant

Thanks guys,

What software are you using on your mac?

Profile photo of Elvis
    Elvis
    Participant

I’m using Linux – KXStudio w/Ardour I want to pick-up a laptop w/eSATA and use for live as well as mastering.
    My ? is, is this possible or do I need some type of DAW or will it work and connect to the Qu24 out of the box.
    If someone can advise, Please Help
    ElvisBob

Sorry, Maybe I did this wrong it looks like I’m sending a reply

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.