best external insert scenario

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions best external insert scenario

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ThatComplicatedMidiGuy ThatComplicatedMidiGuy 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Has anyone found an optimal insert scheme they’re happy with ? madi/dante/analog/aes?? same format for sends and returns?

thanks

ray

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

MADI or AES would incur the least transport latency provided the external insert is digital. However if you’re talking plugins, plugin processing is where a lot of the latency actually occurs, not during transport.

I’m curious, what are you missing in dLive that you need an external insert for?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

some of us miss high class room simulation and bus processing (limiter and tape)

…and pitch correction.

I prefer Dante, but you’ve got to invest in a Dante PCIE card to keep latency to 0.2ms on the i/o side, which gives you a bit more wiggle room with the computer hosting. I use Live Professor with both Native plugs and UA DSP, Mac Mini as a host, w/ thunderbolt chassis carrying a Dante Pcie card. I map DSP Kill to soft keys, just in case, but haven’t had a crash in over a year of running plugs this way. I think I’m at a total of 7ms round trip with a slightly higher buffer on that particular machine (running 8gB ram.) My MacBook Pro can handle lower buffer settings and I can keep it about 4ms round-trip if I’m using my personal machine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.