Beginner – doing Church Mixes with Qu-16/24/32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Beginner – doing Church Mixes with Qu-16/24/32

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

I’ve been asked to pick up the sound duty at our church during the Start of the Covid pandemic. We had been using a simple yamaha analog sound board. It worked ‘ok’ for when we were doing live services, and it worked “ok” when we went to simply streaming (music elements ended up being pre-recorded for easier audio editing/mixing on computer). We have been looking at the time when we go back to live services and plan to also continue the live streaming. I’ve done a lot of research and the bottom line is that the primary recommendation is that you need to do two different mixes – FoH and Stream, which I have learned a lot about as to why, and that I need to move into a digital board. I’ve seen many videos and articles and have been told that you can set up two different mixes on a good digital sound board. Presumably the FoH can be mixed directly on the board and the 2nd mix can be done via the iPad app on the Qu-16/24/32. So my question is: how do you set up the live stream mix on the board, or is that not possible. I’ve been looking at the manual, and I’m not quite getting the how / setup for such a situation. any direction would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I should note that the intent is to have one person do the FoH mix, while another person does the Live stream mix using the iPad.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It can be done by setting up a prefade aux/mix to feed the live stream.
    The person doing the mix for the live stream could use either the QU Mix PAd app
    or the QU You app to mix with.
    You can experiment with the pick off point for that mix with pre or post processing
    to see what works/sounds better for you.

Keep in mind they will not have full control of the channel for that mix only the mix balance levels and overall output EQ and processing.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@doug

Digital is better faster cheaper and easier.
    It is also *different* so you must make some modest changes in your thinking and set up.

We run our livestream from a mix on the Qu and FOH from the main inputs after their processing.
    Changes we make on faders do not affect them.
    We double check them at soundcheck time for the livestream.
    And they adjust sound levels in their pc with obs and do other magical things that I do not know about.
    They could adjust their mix themselves with a QuYou ap , so I have been told. We , actually they, do not do that yet.

To set up the livestream on the board push the mix button that is the mix you will use for the livestream.
    Now do all the same things with faders to adjust the mix for the livestream.

Perfection is not possible. Utoob and streaming video almost always has terrible sound quality (based on my random sample of utoob videos). If you keep your levels up but do not clip or distort then your sound will be plenty good enough for the speakers on pcs playing it back.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I recomend that you watch Keith and Alex, here:

https: //www.facebook.com/AllenHeathofficial/videos/streaming-with-qu/1057311267974797/

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Should have said – there’s a space after “https:” which shouldn’t be there – this forum is a bit funny about posting external links sometimes 😀

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

LINK

the link

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

All, Thanks for the info and video links – very helpful.
    I now see how that is done on the A-H QU.
    One question is still bothering me: Our room is very acoustic (High natural Echo / reveb). So, the FoH mix will have the PEQ / comp / FX, etc set for the room acoustics. However, the stream mix won’t have the room ambiance. How do I brighten the stream mix (which is either Pre/post fade) – I was hoping to be able to add some FX etc. for that, or am I thinking about it wrong?
    Thanks

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

@doug

Since you want to somewhat activley mix the live stream I would set your live steam mix pre fade so level changes made to the FOH mix will not change the levels of your live stream mix.
    To start with I would set the mix to be pre fade / post processing and see how that sounds on the live stream, you can set it pre fade / pre EQ to check the difference.
    The pre post I’m talking about is for the channel processing.
    On the output of the live stream mix you have over all EQ and compression you can apply to the mix. You will want some overall compression on the live stream mix, play with the EQ to see what sounds good on a phone or laptop as that is what most will be listening on.

As for adding some FX to the livestream maybe think about a room mic or two to pick up some at that natural room reverb and mix a little of that into the livesteam. That will also pick up some of the congregation if they take part in singing or speaking.
    You do not want any room mics assigned to the main LR FOH mix and high pass filter them at least around 200hz.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.