BBE Maximizer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions BBE Maximizer

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Billy Billy 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Billy
    Billy
    Participant

We use a qu 24 for our band when playing live music. One band member suggested we run a maximizer ot enhance the sound. Currently we are using exclusively the on board fx for our mix, which is really convenient.

Does anyone use a maximizer with a qu 24 for small venue live music? Would you recommend it?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

No, and no. What are you trying to achieve when you “enhance the sound”? If you think it’s a silver bullet to make your band sound better, then think again. Start with buying a better PA, doing a better mix, and knowing the limitations of the equipment you have and the room you are in.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

And again, no. Actually NO!!!

You could get the same “effect” by putting a “smile curve” on the mains GEQ…and screwing up the signal phase.

Arguably one of the worst pieces of “sound gear” EVER.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Arguably one of the worst pieces of “sound gear” EVER.

AMEN to that!!!

I want to throw up when I see that name

that and Behringer feedback suppressors or any feedback suppression for that matter

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

*some* feedback suppression can work well, but there are better ways to avoid the howl.

Dick Rees
    Participant

It’s most commonly referred to as a “Sonic Crapitizer”…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

BBE Maximiser is a special tool in the wrong hands it destroys the sound completly
    what would you improve in your sound?

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

A “maximizer” or “Aural Exciter” are just distortion generators. Some say it is pleasing distortion. If used as an effect in the correct situation it can be quite nice sounding. I might use it on a lead vocal. But placing it across the main mix tells me something is wrong.

I think trashing the device outright for any and every situation is just as bad as using it too much. I’ll agree the name is entirely misleading though.

John

Dick Rees
    Participant

John…

Very diplomatic, but truth be told they do nothing that can’t be done without the box itself. Totally worthless, too light to hold your boat over the fishing hole…

Besides emulating a smile curve and screwing up the phase response, the main “effect” they have is adding about 5 dB to the bypassed signal.

More bass, more treble, screwy phase response and enough extra volume to make it “sound better”.

Nothing that can’t be done with the onboard FX and EQ.

Phooey

Profile photo of Billy
    Billy
    Participant

Ok I picked up a Behringer SX3040 Sonic Exciter

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-SX3040-Sonic-Exciter-Stereo-Sound-Enhancement-Processor-104508304-i2547755.gc

I think our band is finally going to get the sound that will make us popular for live gigs!

Billy

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Trolololol

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Good luck! 😀

Dick Rees
    Participant

Ok I picked up a Behringer SX3040 Sonic Exciter

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-SX3040-Sonic-Exciter-Stereo-Sound-Enhancement-Processor-104508304-i2547755.gc

I think our band is finally going to get the sound that will make us popular for live gigs!

Billy

You don’t need the band. You have a great future as a comedian!

Profile photo of Billy
    Billy
    Participant

Seriously, the first post was real. Thanks very much for the good advice. Obviously I was kidding about actually buying the behringer. . .

Billy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.