bad recordings 24 channels on a usb stick

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting bad recordings 24 channels on a usb stick

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Goldy
    Goldy
    Participant

Hello,

Today recorded 24 songs of a band with 24 channels at 48.000hz on the end of the session I had 80 errors. I’m using a emtec click USB 3.o 64 gb stick, it can write 12mb/sec it was fresh formated by the sq6. The main thing that went wrong where time hiccups. In every song I had at least 2 hiccups.
    How to prevent these hiccups? Do i need to use a specific brand usb? or should I use a USB2 stick.
    Who knows what is needed for a decent recording?

Greetings,

Goldy

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@goldy

The important rating is consistent write speed and the 12mb/sec you mention may only be peak.
    You could try copying a large file to the drive using a computer and see if it writes consistently or in bursts – if it is only writing at a high speed in short bursts the drive is probably not suitable for the consistent write speeds required for multitrack recording.
    As noted in the reference guide –
    “Not all USB devices are capable of the high bandwidth used by the SQ-Drive multitrack
    recording feature. For best results when multitrack recording direct to USB, use a high-
    speed external hard drive rather than a USB stick/’pen’ drive.”

(the following list with information kindly provided by the community here may be useful too – https://www.allen-heath.com/usbdevicelist )

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.