Backing Tracks For Solo Act

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Backing Tracks For Solo Act

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alrod Alrod 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. It’s great to see so many QU-16 subject matter experts! This is my first post so go easy on me 🙂

I am seriously considering purchasing the QU-16. I would be using it for studio and live use. As far as live use goes, I would like to use the mixer for multi-channel playback of backing tracks for when I play the occasional solo gigs. Currently I use either a rack mounted CD player or an iPod. I don’t like not having control over the individual tracks (typically drums, bass, keys), while I play guitar and sing over them.

At any rate, the tracks would initially be recorded on my Pro Tool DAW, and then dumped to a SanDisk Extreme (or similar), drive. From what I have been reading on this site so far, this is possible. Obviously, I am talking about using the QU-Drive. I am fully aware of the need to have 18 files even if some are dummy tracks. The reason for this route versus using the USB-B streaming functionality is that I really do not want to lug around a laptop if I don’t have too.

So… I would like to hear from folks that are taking the QU-16 out on the road as a solo act and playing along to backing tracks. What is working best for you. What is the good, the bad, and the ugly. If you are wondering why I don’t just use stereo tracks, again, I would rather have control of the multi-tracks so that I can mix them according to the room. Why not just EQ you ask? Well sometimes the levels just need to be adjusted rather than EQ’d. I guess I am a control freak/snob in that way.

Thanks!

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi Alrod,

Multitrack playback is possible, up to 18 tracks via Qu-Drive, and up to 18/30/32/32 tracks on Qu-16/24/32/Pac respectively via USB-B to a DAW. I’ll leave the end users post their experiences 🙂

DC

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Unless you are really consistent, or good at “blagging” several seconds, I wouldn’t want to use the QuDrive for live playback – it just takes too long to ‘arm’ each multitrack.

A laptop with multitrack playback (anything from Audacity up) would probably be faster at jumping around as needed.

Of course if you *are* consistent enough (and I suppose play/pause rather than stop/start could help with that) then the multitrack works great…

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. In that case, the plan would be to add enough silence at the end of every song so that my sound guy has enough time to pause and then restart. I just order the QU-16 and should be getting it next week. I didn’t realize it was continuous play. So seriously, if you press stop, you have to re-arm each track again? Maybe A&H will fix that in a future update.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

With a sound guy as well then yes a 2 second delay would be enough to make it workable.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I got my QU-16 this yesterday. Loving it!!! I mean seriously, WOW!

I did run into a snag though. I have read through this forum on the proper way to set up files for multi-track play back. I cannot however get my Pro Tools recorded files to play back on the QU-16.

Here is what I did:

1. I formatted a brand new SanDisk Extreme 32GB flash drive.
    2. To test the flash drive, I recorded a few tracks directly to the SanDisk. There were no playback issues. It worked perfectly.
    3. I recorded 18 mono tracks on my Pro Tools DAW at 48k/24bit resolution.
    4. I bounced the files (interleaved), and named them TRK01 – TRK18.
    5. I transferred the 18 Pro Tools recorded tracks to the QU-MT001 folder.
    6. I plugged the SanDisk into the QU-Drive Port. The system read the drive and folder with no errors.
    7. For the channels, I set the Global Source to QU-Drive and the Select Source to USB.
    7. On the QU-Drive > Multitrack screen, after selecting the QU-MT001 folder, I pressed play and the screen froze. I also heard a hi frequency pitch. I was able to select the Home button and restart the system. T tried it a couple more times and the same thing happened. I also went through the above steps a few more times and still no playback.

What am I doing wrong?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.